Silky hatch-along and OdoBan on eggs experiment

Odoban baby! :love

I'm super curious to hear what the response is on cuckoo frizzles. That cuckoo in the front sure is striking!
I asked. I got two people telling me they are the same regarding frizzles, can't breed them to another frizzle.

That breeder must pull some of them out as her pen was full of cuckoos. I'll just have to keep hens I suppose.

This does make a little more sense now as I wasn't understanding how they could be any different feather-wise.

I asked. I got two people telling me they are the same regarding frizzles, can't breed them to another frizzle.

That breeder must pull some of them out as her pen was full of cuckoos. I'll just have to keep hens I suppose.

This does make a little more sense now as I wasn't understanding how they could be any different feather-wise.
Ah, that makes sense they would behave identically to any other frizzle. You can definitely keep all the frizzle hens you want, thay seems easier than having a frizzle rooster.

Ah, that makes sense they would behave identically to any other frizzle. You can definitely keep all the frizzle hens you want, thay seems easier than having a frizzle rooster.
So now learning this...

"The cuckoo gene is dominant, however, if you put a cuckoo hen with a solid roo it will be a sexlinked pairing. All boys will be cuckoo and girls will be solid."

That's not so great! I'd have all these beautiful roosters I'd have to get rid of. A couple of these aren't frizzled so I'll see if I can come up with a normal cuckoo rooster. I sure hope that little white princess is a hen though!

Sounds like a lot of work to be a Frizzle breeder, lots of separating and culling going on?
I won't even breed like that. We don't cull for meat here and I'm sure I could even get $10 for those cuckoo roosters whereas I've always given my pet quality and frizzles away free.

I think what I'll do is just hope for a smooth cuckoo rooster, and keep a couple cuckoo hens, one frizzle, the other not, and just let them breed. Somewhere down the road it sounds like barring dilution can start occurring and I'd have to breed each sex with the applicable solid mate, white, black, or chocolate, then breed them back. I sure hope I didn't open up a can of worms by getting these. I just wanted some buffs is how this all started. :old

It's fun though and they are so darned gorgeous!

I read in BYC somewhere that cuckoos can be sexed early by comb. I was wondering why a few of these had tiny red combs and the others are black. If that is true, then both my little white princess and the NN are roos, as well as one smooth dark cuckoo. I don't know if I trust that, but I'll be so heartbroken if that white frizzle one is a roo.

I won't even breed like that. We don't cull for meat here and I'm sure I could even get $10 for those cuckoo roosters whereas I've always given my pet quality and frizzles away free.

I think what I'll do is just hope for a smooth cuckoo rooster, and keep a couple cuckoo hens, one frizzle, the other not, and just let them breed. Somewhere down the road it sounds like barring dilution can start occurring and I'd have to breed each sex with the applicable solid mate, white, black, or chocolate, then breed them back. I sure hope I didn't open up a can of worms by getting these. I just wanted some buffs is how this all started. :old

It's fun though and they are so darned gorgeous!

I read in BYC somewhere that cuckoos can be sexed early by comb. I was wondering why a few of these had tiny red combs and the others are black. If that is true, then both my little white princess and the NN are roos, as well as one smooth dark cuckoo. I don't know if I trust that, but I'll be so heartbroken if that white frizzle one is a roo.
I really hope that gorgeous one is a pullet!!!

Lol, I love your descent into cuckoos by just wanting to get buffs 🤣 isn't that the way these things go? :lau

Yes, frizzle to frizzle is a no-no. Makes frazzles. Hoping the NN bird is a pullet, how is its comb growth? I also see a shiny project manager badge, Debbie! Is it new, or have you had it for some time, and I'm just dumb enough I didn't notice :oops: ? Either way, congrats!
Thank you, Fluffy! It's just been a few days now. ❤️

Their combs are relatively the same. Some are a bit different. I suppose I should just take some head shots and see what ya'll think!

Thank you, Fluffy! It's just been a few days now. ❤️

Their combs are relatively the same. Some are a bit different. I suppose I should just take some head shots and see what ya'll think!

Oh gosh, I'm THAT dumb:lau. Congratulations Debbie, we'll be expecting you to host a contest sooner or later, right🤭?

Oh gosh, I'm THAT dumb:lau. Congratulations Debbie, we'll be expecting you to host a contest sooner or later, right🤭?
No you aren't, sheesh, I didn't even know it was coming then boom, there it was! Yes, I suppose I'll host something one of these days. I'm out of town this weekend so it won't be this week anyway! Got any good ideas?

Back
Top Bottom