Silver laced Cochin Bantams

Pics
well, I did get some eggs from the person my original silver laced came from... only 4 eggs developed, but all 4 hatched out Thursday! one has a twisted foot, so will probably be culled later on but i'm giving him a chance to straighten out on his own.

This little pullet is part of the SL improvement project. Her sire is pure silver lace and am breeding her back to him
She's BEAUTIFUL!
love.gif

Well, it's official. Two ladies. They are 6 months old now. :)

And this is going to be their mate. Hopefully they will give me something to work with, though it's going to be a long process with just these 3.

It's the middle of winter here, so they are in the coop with all the others. As soon as I can, they are going to have accomodations all their own (with a couple other Columbian girls). And Spring can't come soon enough! We've had 3 snowstorms in the past 10 days. The chickies don't even want to come out of the coop!

Here's the rooster that I'm currently working with. As you can see, he has a lot of straight feathers in his tail which is far from cochin type. I've gone back and forth on using him. My other cockerel has better type (not good, but better), but he has white tinted ear lobes and his pattern is off.

Thankfully my hens and pullets have better type than the cockerels. Nothing to be proud of, but it's a start.
smile.png

Last edited:
well, cross your fingers... I found out a friend has a breeding age silver laced cockerel from the same lines my girls (and previous roo) are from... waiting on pics and shipping estimate, but if it works, i'll be back in business sooner than later. but still hoping to hold another friend to his promise of eggs once he starts collecting.
fl.gif

Were you able to get the cockerel?

The silver laced project pen, has SLs, a couple columbians and a couple split to silver laced. The roo is a non hatchery male wih good shape and lacing except that he has gold leakage. But that can be bred out.

Do you have any other pictures of the rooster? It's a bit hard to see, but he seems to have nice type.

Do I see a mottled hen in the back? I read that a few people were crossing out to mottled to improve silver laced type.

It looks like a great pen. I hope they produce lots of lovely chicks for you.
smile.png

well, I did get some eggs from the person my original silver laced came from... only 4 eggs developed, but all 4 hatched out Thursday! one has a twisted foot, so will probably be culled later on but i'm giving him a chance to straighten out on his own.

Woo-hoo!
celebrate.gif

Well, it's official. Two ladies. They are 6 months old now. :)

And this is going to be their mate. Hopefully they will give me something to work with, though it's going to be a long process with just these 3.

It's the middle of winter here, so they are in the coop with all the others. As soon as I can, they are going to have accomodations all their own (with a couple other Columbian girls). And Spring can't come soon enough! We've had 3 snowstorms in the past 10 days. The chickies don't even want to come out of the coop!

What lovely ladies. Their lacing is great!
love.gif

Quote:
he's mine, but the weather's been conspiring against us for shipping so far...

Woo-hoo!
celebrate.gif

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom