Something attacked my ducks last night (UPDATE: Saw what did it!)

We have at least 5 vet clinics in this small town, and all of them but one classifies chickens and ducks as "wildlife" and won't even see them. The one we go to has chickens and things of his own, so he realizes people need care for them too. I just wish it hadn't cost so much. All he did was gas her and sew up the wound, you wouldn't think that would come to 80 dollars. You can get a cat neutered for less than that.

Quote:

Well, I know what did it. It was DEFINITLY a coyote. I was setting here just a minute ago watching Law and Order SVU and reading some posts when I realized the dogs were barking. They are ALWAYS barking, but this was different somehow. I jumped into a pair of rubber boots (our yard is standing in water from the rains) and grabbed a superpowerful flashlight. I ran out in the yard and there was a giant coyote standing about halfway across our property. I yelled at it, because I'm 5'3 and weaponless, and it ran away. All of the animals were in an uproar, so I got everybody fastened in as securely as I could and ran back in.

I'm going to have to learn to shoot and get a gun. This is rediculous. I've lost about 5 ducks to these things since June and I'm sick of it. They are terroizing all the animals, and I shouldn't be scared to go out and walk the dog.

Ever seen the clip of Samuel L. Jackson from Snakes On A Plane? I'm as tired of these coyotes as he was of those snakes, and I think I actually yelled that at one point. The neighbors must think I'm crazy now.

I've been dealing with coyotes today, too, they chased my dogs this morning (almost right into the yard) and tonight they were out behind the lower coops gathering up and howling.

they are SO bad this year. Thick as thieves here - everyone's been trying to shoot them, but they are quick and gun smart - so it is hard to get them, even if you see them.

If I do get me a coyote, I'm thinking of hanging his hide from the coop wall - sort of a "Vlad the Impaler" method of coyote deterrent
lau.gif

meri

I really don't mind coyotes or any other animal, but it needs to stick to its own turf and get off mine. For goodness sakes, there's a highway right in front of my house. Of course this is a rural place, but if its bold enough to come and attack all the animals, what if it goes after me? If it jumped on me, I'd be down. It would probably be taller than me on its back legs.

The people two houses over have chickens, my neighbors have horses, and we have ducks, chickens, dogs, cats, and goats. Its found an easy buffet, and its taking us up on the all you can eat deal.
somad.gif

Mojo Chick'n :

I've been dealing with coyotes today, too, they chased my dogs this morning (almost right into the yard) and tonight they were out behind the lower coops gathering up and howling.

they are SO bad this year. Thick as thieves here - everyone's been trying to shoot them, but they are quick and gun smart - so it is hard to get them, even if you see them.

If I do get me a coyote, I'm thinking of hanging his hide from the coop wall - sort of a "Vlad the Impaler" method of coyote deterrent
lau.gif

meri​

I actually like Chewey, because that's what happened to her. She got chewed up. I kinda like Josie for some reason though. Look at her pic and tell me which you like better.

Mojo Chick'n :

chewtoy?
gig.gif
j/k ... but you could call her Chewey for short
wink.png

meri​

you wouldn't think that would come to 80 dollars. You can get a cat neutered for less than that.

Wow, vet care must be really affordable where you are! Can I bring my animals to your vet?
gig.gif
Around here, neutering a cat costs at least $90, much more if you take the optional services (like IV fluids etc.), and WAY more if you count the office visit charge, the vaccinations that the city requires, and any silly little cheap plastic pill-poking devices the vet adds to your bill after telling you she would "give" one to you if you wanted it.
roll.png

My elderly neighbor adopted a neighborhood stray dog, and the vet charged him $600 for his first visit, and the dog was already spayed. It actually made me really angry when he told me that, because I know that vet was taking advantage of his soft heart and lack of experience with what vet services are necessary. Not all vets are bad about that, but all vets ARE expensive around here. In fact, I drove an hour to take my goats to be neutered three counties away because everyone closer wanted to charge me $150 EACH just for the neutering (the vet I went to still charged $50 each and then added in some other services so that my bill was $150 total for the two of them).

Anyway... I realize that's way off topic. I'm glad your duck will probably be okay, and I'm sorry about your drake. It's amazing the trouble & expense we'll go to for our sweet little fowl friends.
smile.png
And good luck with your coyotes. You might advertise on craigslist looking for a predator hunter to help you--some will do it just for the fun, and not even charge you. Definitely cheaper and easier than buying a gun, a permit, and lessons to learn to use it.​

Quote:

I really don't mind coyotes or any other animal, but it needs to stick to its own turf and get off mine.

Well, it's useful to remember that there's no such thing as a giant coyote, they weight about 30 to 50 lbs. They don't attack humans (unless, really rare cases of rabies and/or starvation)
Also, this used to be their turf, wildlife biologists agree that coyotes would prefer to avoid humans entirely, if they had enough range to hunt their usual prey.

Best thing to do, is lock up your birds and let the wild animals have their own life. Works great for us out where we are.​

Back
Top Bottom