Switching from crumble to pellets...and other questions...

Thank you all for the advice! I'm thinking this go around I will be switching from grower to all flock of some sort and I will be sure to mix it for a while.

Adding another goose is ok with me :Dshould I find another baby and raise it up or one that is around the same age? Also does breed matter? I really love how the Sebastopol look!

Like others have said, if the foods are the same composition (just pellet vs crumble) switching should be pretty easy. If you're picking a new food do it as follows:

Week 1: 1/4 New Food to 3/4 Old Food
Week 2: 1/2 New Food to 1/2 Old Food
Week 3: 3/4 New Food to 1/4 Old Food
Week 4: 4/4 New Food

Never hurts to have a separate grit container available just in case. It's only a few dollars and well worth it if it prevents crop/digestion issues.

I would personally suggest switching to an All Flock feed and offering oyster shells in a separate container. If your drake and hens (when they get too old to lay eventually) eat a food intended for laying hens the extra calcium can cause kidney damage and death.

One last thing, keep a very close eye on your drake and make sure he's only mating with the ducks. If he mates a chicken he can kill her.

Thank you so much! Drake isn't paying any attention to the chickens yet, but that is something I've learned to watch out for. Right now it's just him and his Juliet...they are quite the bonded pair.

Adding another goose is ok with me :Dshould I find another baby and raise it up or one that is around the same age? Also does breed matter? I really love how the Sebastopol look!

Breed doesn't matter unless you were planning to breed and wanted purebred goslings :)

This time of year finding a baby might be hard; a lot of geese are out of breeding season now. Plus, getting one the same age, it could be introduced to your current goose right away.

Only downside is that it might not be as friendly as one you raise yourself from a baby. But sebbies in general are known to be a friendly breed, if you do decide to try to find a sebastopol.

Breed doesn't matter unless you were planning to breed and wanted purebred goslings :)

This time of year finding a baby might be hard; a lot of geese are out of breeding season now. Plus, getting one the same age, it could be introduced to your current goose right away.

Only downside is that it might not be as friendly as one you raise yourself from a baby. But sebbies in general are known to be a friendly breed, if you do decide to try to find a sebastopol.

Thank you very much! I will definitely be on the lookout so my grey can have a buddy!

Back
Top Bottom