TAX on your Chicken Feed?

Charging sales tax is probably more a function of where the store is not that it is a RK. If the city or county says that they have to collect tax, they have to collect tax. I never buy feed ib a neighboring town for that reason. An extra $1 a bag adds up. The irony is it's more rural and where agriculture is the cornerstone of the economy.

They all charge tax in Illinois.

Farm & Fleet asks at the register if you're ag exempt. Rural King does not ask. I don't buy feed at TSC more than once in a very blue moon.

I really ought to ask my dad how we're set up tax wise since we're on 100 acres and cash rent part out for crops. We might already have an IL ag exemption and I don't know it and could be saving the tax. I do buy most of my feed from Rural King and I know that my bags of Meatbird are $13.99 and I pay, I'm pretty sure, $15.37 out the door. I know it's $15, not positive on the change.

Think this depends on the state and the store. If we buy bulk (like a scoop into the truck) it's nontaxable but if we buy it in bags it's taxable. You have to know the rules and then abide by them.

Sales taxes are charged in every state, so RK is just following the rules. Are you ag exempt? In this case, you should have a tax number as well, which you could provide to the RK at the checkout. Imagine living in Ontario where the taxes for all goods and services are 13%! I've had my share of headaches and nerve-wracking tax-related situations, decided to speak to a financial advisor, and eventually started using my own paystub maker. It really helped me have a clearer image of my finances, taxes, and deductions.

Just going to throw this out there.

NAME ANY STORES IN THE USA THAT TAXES LIVESTOCK FEED (Not on-line home delivery-you had that coming).

Granted I'm in Florida (not a broad).
I'm not a Google junky & prefer to hear replies from humans "With real life experiences".

:old Here's the BEEF I (WE) have with RURAL KING (The Mom & Pop Slayers).

Rural King Charges sales Tax on all of their Livestock Feed unless you provide documentation (###) (HERE IN FL) that you are Agricultural exempt with meeting the requirements of owning 5 ACRES or more land & have registered with the State for Property Tax exemption witch apparently falls under the same category.

STICK WITH ME-

Tractor Supply Company/ Seminole Feed AND EVERY MOM & POP FEED STORE DOES "NOT" TAX LIVESTOCK FEED, except Rural King here in Florida.

MY QUESTION TO REAL HUMANS (not google), who shops there and is paying MORE for their feed when our Mom & Pops via local does not?

We buy a pallet at a time. That adds up FAST.

Reason for this inquiry:
Our local Mom & Pop's ran out of carbohydrate feed for our recuperating Sows & we were forced to UN BOYCOTT Rural King feed one more time because being between a rock & a hard place.

SUMMARY:
Does Rural King charge you Tax on feed?

Edited for GRAMMAR not content
We walked out of rural king today after them trying to charge me tax on feed and told me tuff its the corporate office in illinois . so where does that tax money go ????

We walked out of rural king today after them trying to charge me tax on feed and told me tuff its the corporate office in illinois . so where does that tax money go ????
If it was sales tax, the money goes wherever sales tax goes.

States, counties, and cities can all charge sales tax, which means the store is required to collect that sales tax and pass it on to the state, county, or city. Sales tax laws do have exceptions, but you would have to see whether any exception applies to you (your state, your county, your city.)

I live in a place where both the state and the county charge sales tax, so the stores collect the amount of both taxes, and then send one amount to the state and another amount to the county.

In my state, if a person raises chickens to sell, they do not have to pay sales tax on the feed for those chickens. If they have chickens as pets, or chickens to produce eggs or meat for use at home, they DO have to pay sales tax. (The rules can be complicated!)

Back
Top Bottom