Lazy Farmer

Gallus gallus domesticus
7 Years
Feb 28, 2017
Florida Peninsula
My Coop
My Coop
Just going to throw this out there.

NAME ANY STORES IN THE USA THAT TAXES LIVESTOCK FEED (Not on-line home delivery-you had that coming).

Granted I'm in Florida (not a broad).
I'm not a Google junky & prefer to hear replies from humans "With real life experiences".

:old Here's the BEEF I (WE) have with RURAL KING (The Mom & Pop Slayers).

Rural King Charges sales Tax on all of their Livestock Feed unless you provide documentation (###) (HERE IN FL) that you are Agricultural exempt with meeting the requirements of owning 5 ACRES or more land & have registered with the State for Property Tax exemption witch apparently falls under the same category.

STICK WITH ME-

Tractor Supply Company/ Seminole Feed AND EVERY MOM & POP FEED STORE DOES "NOT" TAX LIVESTOCK FEED, except Rural King here in Florida.

MY QUESTION TO REAL HUMANS (not google), who shops there and is paying MORE for their feed when our Mom & Pops via local does not?

We buy a pallet at a time. That adds up FAST.

Reason for this inquiry:
Our local Mom & Pop's ran out of carbohydrate feed for our recuperating Sows & we were forced to UN BOYCOTT Rural King feed one more time because being between a rock & a hard place.

SUMMARY:
Does Rural King charge you Tax on feed?

Edited for GRAMMAR not content

Last edited:
Yes, but so does tractor supply and southern states. Of course, in Ky we also now have to pay sales tax on services, such as vets or plumbing, so yeah. BUT Rural King is significantly cheaper on feed and even pet food. The one smaller company that I know of around here sells chicken feed with the bulk of it being corn, so I wouldn't buy that regardless of the price anyway.

Can honestly say I never bothered to check if I was charged tax on feed before. I buy from the local mom & pops, the feed mill, or Tractor Supply depending on what I need and which one happens to be convenient. I'm running low so if I can, I'll buy a bag tomorrow and find out if we pay tax on it here in California.

Most of our stores tax livestock feed, including Rural King but RK is my go-to place. I've never had any reason to complain. Though, I've bought birds that were mislabeled- I don't blame RK for that.

Yes, but so does tractor supply and southern states. Of course, in Ky we also now have to pay sales tax on services, such as vets or plumbing, so yeah. BUT Rural King is significantly cheaper on feed and even pet food. The one smaller company that I know of around here sells chicken feed with the bulk of it being corn, so I wouldn't buy that regardless of the price anyway.
WE have Southern States with SILOS here in Anthony FL (20= miles from her)
Tractor Supply Company DOES NOT CHARGE SALES TAX ON LIVESTOCK FEED (FL)...

Can honestly say I never bothered to check if I was charged tax on feed before. I buy from the local mom & pops, the feed mill, or Tractor Supply depending on what I need and which one happens to be convenient. I'm running low so if I can, I'll buy a bag tomorrow and find out if we pay tax on it here in California.
We buy pallets. 7% on the dollar for BOO KOO bags is crazy. We are on a much bigger scale. I should post this topic on Backyard Herds. Being a Farmer is different than average joes with Chickens in their backyards.
Never the less, thax for replying.

Feed is exempt from sales tax in Missouri since 1939:
"Feed for livestock and poultry which is to be used in the feeding of livestock to be sold ultimately in processed form or otherwise at retail, all sales of feed additives mixed with feed for livestock or poultry " ( this is from the exemptions list.) I would think it is state by state. Oregon, where our kids live, has no sales tax on anything.

Back
Top Bottom