Pics
There is another thread on here that did this experiment across several farms and pretty much decided that some hens lay pointy eggs, and others lay round eggs, that unless you look at eggs that are all from the same hen and compare HER eggs to each other, that you won't be able to get any decent readings.

@Kusanar - I read that thread, can't find it now .... I can't have more that 6 hens so I'm following this experiment with great interest.

I have read about choosing the sex of your chicks by studying the shape of the egg for maybe 60 years. I can assure you that this is no different from predicting the likely hood of a child turning out to be a genius or a criminal by feeling the bumps and knots on that child's noggin.
Bumps and knots on the head? I have never heard of that!! I better run and check my kids head!! (JK!!)
Yes, you may be right, but isn't it fun to just expierement especially when your kids are all involved?

Yep...I'm a weenie!
I rather watch you crazies hatch.
Seem just too stressful for me, plus I can have roosters and I would have a hard time finding all the boys homes.

I'm sure I will end up with an incubator, but I think I will prefer a broody doing the work.
Since you are close to me, I will loan you mine!! Then I can say (with lighter in hand) " My name is Nellie, and I am addicted to hatching. I am also responsible for encouraging others to hatch".
(Then she sits down, and others in room clap, and say "Welcome Nellie")

Hi everybody!

So, this is really fascinating and fun! I currently have 9 eggs in my incubator. They are due to hatch on 2/28/18. I know which of my hens laid which eggs (three different hens, three different color of eggs...blue, olive & a pinkish). The funny thing is when I was telling my sister-in-law that I was going to hatch some of my own flocks eggs, she asked me if I had any "pointy" eggs. I told her one of my blue eggs was noticeably "pointy". She went on to explain that there was a theory that the "pointy" eggs would be boys. I told her I'd watch to see.

Fast forward to finding this thread. ;) I of course haven't measured the eggs, but I did just text my husband to stop a Lowes on his way home and pick up the digital calipers I just purchased for in-store pickup (I'm a have it now kind of girl) ;) I mean time is of the essence wouldn't you say? He asked me what I needed those for...I explained this experiment and told him that if I didn't get the calipers before lockdown, I'd have to hatch more eggs to do the experiment...he said he would stop and pick them up! LOL!!!

I haven't read the link to the original experiment yet, as I was excited to get to the end of this thread to see if there were any conclusions! I'll go read it now so I have clue about what I'm supposed to do ;) I'll also create a spreadsheet to track this on. Below is a picture of the eggs (I removed one blue egg as it wasn't fertilized, all of the others are developing and still in the incubator). @Nksg75 if you have any pointers I'm all ears!
EGGS2.JPG

OK...I read the study and I'm all caught up. I've got my spreadsheet created (even setup formulas to do the math for me...which is a dang miracle as I SUCK at math and creating formulas!). I plan to do my measuring when I remove the turner at lockdown. I'm planning to start lockdown Sunday night before I go to bed as I've had chicks hatch at the beginning of day 19 before (don't want them hatching at night in that turner).

Back
Top Bottom