The Quack Shack

Tooshay89

Chicken Tender
Premium member
Mar 25, 2016
Central Florida
Sure did feel like it! I didn't get the final chick in their spot till 7:30 last night. I did however put one of the heat plates in use, and love it already. I know the infrared is okay in regards to keeping their day/night schedule, but a complete lack of light as night was nice. It was actually quite, to the point I double checked they where still alive.
Yeah the heat plates are great... and the chicks can get eerily quiet when they're all under there all cozy.

Tooshay89

Chicken Tender
Premium member
Mar 25, 2016
Central Florida
Morning all!

Yesterday was spent basically rebuilding the quack shack. My husband insisted that we build it in the shade and then move it to it's spot behind the chicken run, but I told him it probably wasn't a good idea since we wouldn't be building it on a level surface. Well, he never listens to me so we built it, moved it, and all the measurements were off and it all had to come down so everything would be square. This is basically why I just hire people to build all the things.

We finally got back to where we were before we moved the shack, and then I started painting. I decided that I hate painting with a passion (I really do) so I was going to rent a paint sprayer since I need to paint the shack AND my barn. Home Depot wants $97/day for a medium duty sprayer, and that seems like a bit much, so I just bought my own.

I haven't ever used a paint sprayer before, but it wasn't too bad. I do now know that painters wear those full body suits for good reason... I wore a mask and goggles, but I had paint everywhere else. Luckily it came out of my hair or I probably would have died. 😂

IMG_1839.jpeg

rjohns39

Wrangler
Project manager
Premium member
Aug 20, 2015
Smith County, TN
Morning friends! Hope everyone has a great day!! Going to be 60° today so I'm planning on making the most of it...maybe😄
:frow Good morning Diy, have a great day
Morning all!

Yesterday was spent basically rebuilding the quack shack. My husband insisted that we build it in the shade and then move it to it's spot behind the chicken run, but I told him it probably wasn't a good idea since we wouldn't be building it on a level surface. Well, he never listens to me so we built it, moved it, and all the measurements were off and it all had to come down so everything would be square. This is basically why I just hire people to build all the things.

We finally got back to where we were before we moved the shack, and then I started painting. I decided that I hate painting with a passion (I really do) so I was going to rent a paint sprayer since I need to paint the shack AND my barn. Home Depot wants $97/day for a medium duty sprayer, and that seems like a bit much, so I just bought my own.

I haven't ever used a paint sprayer before, but it wasn't too bad. I do now know that painters wear those full body suits for good reason... I wore a mask and goggles, but I had paint everywhere else. Luckily it came out of my hair or I probably would have died. 😂

View attachment 2035465
:frow Good morning Tooshay, have a great day

Trimurtisan

Flying by the seat of my pants!
Premium member
May 22, 2019
A cypress swamp in FL
Yeah the heat plates are great... and the chicks can get eerily quiet when they're all under there all cozy.
Very errily. When the lights came on this morning though, the chirps and cheeps came right back. :)

Btw, I get what you where saying about the Brinsea. The feet on that thing are getting modified. The idea of the design is okay, but holly failure on the execution of it. I thought I was going to break it just putting it together. (for those wondering why I'm modifying her equipment, she gifted this unit to me because of horrible foot design. Gotta be Heman to take it apart)

Tooshay89

Chicken Tender
Premium member
Mar 25, 2016
Central Florida
Very errily. When the lights came on this morning though, the chirps and cheeps came right back. :)

Btw, I get what you where saying about the Brinsea. The feet on that thing are getting modified. The idea of the design is okay, but holly failure on the execution of it. I thought I was going to break it just putting it together. (for those wondering why I'm modifying her equipment, she gifted this unit to me because of horrible foot design. Gotta be Heman to take it apart)

I feel like the plates are the closest thing I can get to simulating going under a broody hen. They seem the coziest, anyway. And yeah, I told you that you'd hate it, just as I have and probably the generations of non-HeMan types before me. The only use I've gotten out of that thing in the last year is just looking at it with distain whilst thinking about drop kicking it into a fire. But if you think you can modify it to make it better, I'm definitely interested to see what you come up with. But yeah, no one should actually pay money for one. You're better off putting your bare feet on hot coals and then holding your foot over the chicks for warmth.

Top Bottom