That's where I got the inflatable pool. Our local store didn't have any hard plastic ones. What kind of Walmart does that!? They seriously had about 30 different varieties of inflatable ones though, it was a bit brain racking .

I'll be on the other side of town today and go hit a different location. See what I can find.
target, k-mart might have some. If you have an Academy Sports near you I bet they will have them too. Ducks have sharp nails and will destroy any inflatable.

I started with the bigger size but it became too hard to empty and clean. My husband even put in a ball valve drain in it but it took forever to drain and got clogged etc. You can see the hole in it. Now it's a brooder. It was gross so I went to the smaller one.
IMG_0400.JPG

Hi Trim! I know nothing about ducks but the title of your thread caught my eye. Welcome to BYC. I'm so happy to read you've come through your medical ordeal a happy man! I hope to see you around :frow
Hello there, and thanks for dropping in!

So what kind of birds do you keep?

Getting my health to where it is now has been a lot of work but, the dedication has come from my wife and children. When you've got something to wake up for, there's no sense in staying in bed all day.

Feel free to stop in anytime for some quacker chats. Toodles!
:ya

Last edited:
I built the brooder box today. It's 4x4 with 12' walls. You can see in the fine craftsmanship, I am not a master carpenter, but it is solid.

I do a lot of indoor gardening, and am very cautious in regards to lights and fires. The stand for the light was able to hold a swaying (I pushed it) 35lbs grow light just fine. The eyelet is sunk about 2" deep, and all the holes where pre drilled to prevent splitting.

The light is set diagonally so I can actually split it in to 2 going corner to corner, the off centered to provide a cooler side.

I've already pre cut some 2x2 boards in 2' sections to make an extension with hardware cloth. This will be used when the babies get a bit older, I read they really like to jump when younger.
5 ds v:

I would need to unscrew/re-screw the lamp post, but I can get another 6" off height if needed. If I endedup needing more, I'll just cut a longer piece.

I got a couple more things to do to it tomorrow, but in general that's what it's going to be.

20190601_195203.jpg
20190601_195241.jpg
20190601_195311.jpg
20190601_195250.jpg

Welcome to the rockin chicken train

Glad you got ducks and chickens. The ducks are a blast to watch. My adults chased a frog for several feet before it escaped. Also love watching my ducklings chase after flying bugs. My duckling oreo, caught a bee recently, got a stung tongue, and spat it out only for one of my same age pekins to gobble it up in only a second.

Welcome to the rockin chicken train

Glad you got ducks and chickens. The ducks are a blast to watch. My adults chased a frog for several feet before it escaped. Also love watching my ducklings chase after flying bugs. My duckling oreo, caught a bee recently, got a stung tongue, and spat it out only for one of my same age pekins to gobble it up in only a second.
Hey there A2L! I actually don't have chickens. The babies are guinea fowl keets, and a ball of joy to watch.

That's pretty silly about the bee, lol. My ducks seem like... they have a lot of learning to do. The other day it was 100f here so I was looking for ways to keep them cool. I got the hose with a shower head and cool well water. I sprayed it about 5 feet from them and they ran. So I followed trying not to scare them, but still get them wet. Finally one split off and caught in the water. After 5 seconds, she started nipping at the "rain" and quacking. It stopped the other 3 in their tracks, and in the "rain" they went.

Now I'm getting harassed while watering the garden in the morning, hehe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom