While it would be great.. when you get to be my age you would not be able to think back and fondly recall all the great dogs (and the clunkers) you had over your lifetime.

I just hope and pray in his wisdom has figured out a way I can visit them again some day...
Is you real name Methuselah?

that sucks, I lost a goose my oldest gander last night did not know there was something wrong till Friday. that is a problem having a lot of bird and a full time job . I guess it is part of life .

Aww, I'm sorry. Man, this is a bad week for poultry losses.

I feel like BlackHood was never quite right. Maybe she had something going on internally. I feel bad because she may have been sick longer but I could never really tell with her, she was always a little off. She sat a lot, so that was never a true indicator of sickness for her specifically. And she made these weird crow-like noises since about 6 months old. Maybe some kind of trachea issue? Tumors? I just don't know. At least if there was something genetic going on, she's no longer suffering with it.

I wanted to get a necropsy, but I guess I didn't inform my husband soon enough, because I went outside a bit ago and he had our burn pile going. Annnnd he put her in the burn pile. Which, in his defense, he did to try and prevent any disease spreading (if there was anything contagious, which I really don't believe there was) or a predator getting her carcass.

They found the back door and now wait for hand outs.
20200128_100338.jpg

So they are very human like.. interesting..

As someone who doesn't want kids, I totally relate to female emus :p

And she made these weird crow-like noises since about 6 months old.

From the way you describe her, with having hackle and saddle feathers and even crowing, but DNA testing as a hen, it sounds like either something was wrong with her ovary or it was damaged. When that happens, female birds take on masculine traits like you describe.

It's not something that would have killed her, necessarily, but that might explain for you why she was so rooster-like.

As someone who doesn't want kids, I totally relate to female emus :p

From the way you describe her, with having hackle and saddle feathers and even crowing, but DNA testing as a hen, it sounds like either something was wrong with her ovary or it was damaged. When that happens, female birds take on masculine traits like you describe.

It's not something that would have killed her, necessarily, but that might explain for you why she was so rooster-like.

Hmm! Very interesting! She really was one of a kind. I would've liked to get a necropsy to see what the issue was, ultimately, that killed her. Oh well. I'm going to be extra vigilant with the rest of the flock. Hopefully we won't have any other issues.

Back
Top Bottom