I think @Flashpoint has midget whites
Hi @Molpet !

I have 4 midget white turkeys that I hatched from eggs. They are now approximately 3 and a half months old (hatched 7/21).

As to blackhead, I also called the farm bureau and DNR regarding this disease. According to them, blackhead is not considered a concern in my area (Western MD). That said, I raised 4 other heritage turkeys with my chickens and had no problems. They are now approximately 2 years old.

Friendliness is something else. My older turkeys (Narragansett, Bronze - MAYBE a dash of Oregon Gray) - will follow me around, eat out of my hand, but you dare not touch one without them going into hysterics lol.

The Midget Whites, on the other hand, love to be petted, will sit with me or on me, love scratches, follow me everywhere including inside, and are certainly my favorites.

On price - 5 for $50 sounds like a great deal to me. When trying to buy just eggs to hatch - they ran anywhere from $80-$200 for a DOZEN. Of course, there is no guarantee if all or any will hatch. My first attempt was a bad hatch all around and only hatched out 9 chicken chicks. The other 25 or so including the turkey eggs did not. My first ever BAD hatch!

My second batch had 6 midget white eggs shipped from Maine and I had four that hatched. One developed a blood ring and one wasn't fertile. Needless to say, I am very happy with my two hens and two jakes.

Opal - laying into a scratch (no, I wasn't trying to throttle her)
opal_scratch.jpg

Opal and Cooper

opal_cooper.jpg

Cooper

cooper.jpg

Back
Top Bottom