Wow that guy sounds like a real jerk!! No wonder he still has puppies available lol not to mention, I can’t imagine a show dog would actually be that great of a worker? Nothing against show dogs, I like them, but they’re usually bred for totally different purposes and a lot of working and show line dogs may as well be two separate breeds haha like Labs, GSDs, and most spaniels for example. But maybe they are not there yet. :fl although considering how many people have them for pets nowadays, I wouldn’t be surprised haha anyway, seems like you dodged a bullet with that one.

A lot of LGD show dogs actually are actively working dogs. Not all, but a great deal are. They're bred for confirmation and health, but also to do a specific job, so really you've gotta have the trifecta or what use are they are farm dogs? Great Pyrenees are often poorly bred, so finding a solid, health tested dog that is doing what they're bred to do is like a diamond in the rough, I'm learning.

Part of me wants to know how much these prized dogs were, but the other part doesn't want to humor him with a response.
Hehe, send me his contract info. I'm a professional "not good enough for me" jerk when needed. ;)

I think. Literally the best way to get me to do/buy/prove something is to tell me that I can't or shouldn't.
You couldn't find, hatch, and partially raise unrelated lines of O Shamo if you tried!
If you do, I know a guy who'd hellp rehomethem....

A lot of LGD show dogs actually are actively working dogs. Not all, but a great deal are. They're bred for confirmation and health, but also to do a specific job, so really you've gotta have the trifecta or what use are they are farm dogs? Great Pyrenees are often poorly bred, so finding a solid, health tested dog that is doing what they're bred to do is like a diamond in the rough, I'm learning.

That’s good!! I’m glad to hear that!! And sorry, I didn’t mean to offend. :oops: just a lot of breeds have been ruined and can’t or just don’t work anymore but I am glad to hear that that is not the case with LGDs yet and I hope it stays that way. That’s good they work. :)

I know they have like sheep trials and stuff for herding breeds but didn’t realize they had a similar thing for LGDs/working dogs? If so that’s awesome. I guess I was thinking grand champion in like conformation :oops:

I'm sure it's in conformation, but that's still incredibly important in LGDs, and any breed really. If you're not breeding for conformation and to better the breed, what's the point? I'm in a lot of livestock/LGD/chicken/farming in general groups on Facebook, and you'd actually be surprised to see how many champion conformation LGDs spend most of their days in the field guarding their stock. They take a few days off before a show for grooming/travel purposes and then right back to doing their jobs.

That’s good!! I’m glad to hear that!! And sorry, I didn’t mean to offend. :oops: just a lot of breeds have been ruined and can’t or just don’t work anymore but I am glad to hear that that is not the case with LGDs yet and I hope it stays that way. That’s good they work. :)

Oh no, you didn't offend me! You'd know if you did. I'd probably move to your town and buy the property next to you with my 27 barking LGDs just to prove it to you. 😂 (I don't have any LGDs, so that just shows you the commitment I have.)

I'm sure it's in conformation, but that's still incredibly important in LGDs, and any breed really. If you're not breeding for conformation and to better the breed, what's the point? I'm in a lot of livestock/LGD/chicken/farming in general groups on Facebook, and you'd actually be surprised to see how many champion conformation LGDs spend most of their days in the field guarding their stock. They take a few days off before a show for grooming/travel purposes and then right back to doing their jobs.

Hmm that’s true. I guess they need good structure to work. It is quite amazing how many just throw two dogs together or only breed for working ability. That’s important, sure, but I suppose structure is too which I never thought of before. Just hope they actually breed for structure and working ability and not just beauty but it seems like, at least with LGDs, most do, which is good. :) and oh wow that is definitely impressive!! Haha and amazing!! :love curious though who guards while they’re gone!? :p but I assume most have multiple dogs and only take a few at a time so there’s still some at home guarding?

Oh no, you didn't offend me! You'd know if you did. I'd probably move to your town and buy the property next to you with my 27 barking LGDs just to prove it to you. 😂 (I don't have any LGDs, so that just shows you the commitment I have.)

:lau :gig :lau

OMG!!

Remind me never to get on your bad side! :p

Hmm that’s true. I guess they need good structure to work. It is quite amazing how many just throw two dogs together or only breed for working ability. That’s important, sure, but I suppose structure is too which I never thought of before. Just hope they actually breed for structure and working ability and not just beauty but it seems like, at least with LGDs, most do, which is good. :) and oh wow that is definitely impressive!! Haha and amazing!! :love curious though who guards while they’re gone!? :p but I assume most have multiple dogs and only take a few at a time so there’s still some at home guarding?

Most larger farms (or heck, even smaller ones) have multiple livestock guardians. They work well in pairs, often one stays with the flock/herd while the other patrols/sleeps, etc. And especially if they're showing for confirmation, they've probably got several prospective dogs that they're watching to see who is going to go into the show ring.

For me, the most important thing is a healthy line. Breeding poorly bred dogs creates more poorly bred dogs. A livestock guardian that has hip dysplasia and has to be put down by the age of 5 isn't the best sire or dam for your future generations. I learned a bunch before I got Cosmo, my golden retriever, who, as a breed, are riddled with hip, elbow and eye issues... and frequently die of cancer.

And I'm 100% not an expert in any of this, but it's just what I've managed to fill my brain with while browsing/researching LGDs recently, lol.

Back
Top Bottom