Good morning friends! Its cold here today. 53f or 11C. For me that's mid winter weather. My Texas blood runs very thin. The turnips will like it. 60 days to harvest. Pickled turnips, frozen turnips lots and lots of greens with ham hock. Ill be disappointed if they don't produce. Made Chayote (Mirliton for the French) pickles over the weekend for the first time. Can hardly wait the two weeks for them to set before opening. Also 7 eggs in the bator 18 days till babies. Yikes and extra chatty this morning, sorry.
Good Morning! - I remember the brutal winters in Houston vividly: Whenever something fell from the sky that looked like white snow-flakes everybody brutally slowed down on the beltway! :lau
And i remember Gene Norman givin the next day a Norman Number of just 1 because there would be below freezing temperatures for more than six hours before sunrise! ;)
The first frost for here is forecasted for early november ~45 days from now, so likely too late for me to sew out turnips, but i will try nevertheless, maybe i can harvest some greens…

Last edited:
Good Morning! - I remember the brutal winters in Houston vividly: Whenever something fell from the sky that looked like white snow-flakes everybody brutally slowed down on the beltway! :lau
And i remember Gene Norman givin the net day a Norman Number of just 1 because there would be below freezing temperatures for more than six hours before sunrise! ;)
The first frost for here is forecasted for early november ~45 days from now, so likely too late for me to sew out turnips, but i will try nevertheless, maybe i can harvest some greens…
It freezes nearly every night now here. In 45 days the lakes will be frozen over, we will have snow on the ground and it will not get above freezing for months. The temps will be from 20 below to highs in the low single digits, farenhight.

For those of you on the C scale that’s -30 to -10 ish.

It freezes nearly every night now here. In 45 days the lakes will be frozen over, we will have snow on the ground and it will not get above freezing for months. The temps will be from 20 below to highs in the low single digits, farenhight.

For those of you on the C scale that’s -30 to -10 ish.
Why do people live in such cold places? Are you being held against your will? Wink twice with your left eye if you need us to come rescue you

Why do people live in such cold places? Are you being held against your will? Wink twice with your left eye if you need us to come rescue you
When I hear about temperatures like this, it seems crazy enough that people survive them now, but then I think about the people who survived them centuries ago. They must have been incredibly tough!

Good night Everyone! I think if I greet you at about this time, it's actually night time for all of us.
The ducks were slightly spoiled today, with many buckets of weeds to pick through. They are excited to have the weeds, and the blackbirds are excited to have the disturbed soil where the weeds used to be.
We had a frost this morning, but I had seen the forecast, so I was able to cover vulnerable plants. There is not supposed to be a frost tonight, but it's chilly! I hope there isn't, as I believed the forecast, and it is now well after dark. Most years the frosts are finished here by now, but we get enough variation that it's always guesswork.

Back
Top Bottom