Thanks. I have enough of my own mox if I find the one pill that fell on the floor. I cut them up to about the right dose. Gonna boil eggs when I get back from eating. Just need tgise tiny calcium pills
The amoxicillin dose is ~57 to 68 mg per pound *twice* a day, so try to do that is you can. A full-grown average sized laying hen should get one 250 mg tablet twice a day.

Ah, good news and not so good news. Good she appears to be feeling a bit better but not good about the crop.

I'm going to suggest two things. First is to very gently lift the bottom of her crop up about an inch and just roll it a few times, being careful not to push too hard on the crop. If liquid begins to drip out of her beak, stop immediately. This might give her a little relief and make her feel more like eating.

The second is to feel her abdomen between her legs. Does it feel hard and swollen?

I gave her another bath, but her spunky self hated it. She lasted 15 mins before she cried. She's now wrapped up in a blankie purring in my arm. Will give her her meds in a while

Attachments

• 20181123_092815.jpg
    20181123_092815.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 24
I gave her another bath, but her spunky self hated it. She lasted 15 mins before she cried. She's now wrapped up in a blankie purring in my arm. Will give her her meds in a while
Be careful bathing her because bathing them when they are like this can kill them. I have found it better to fill up my bathroom with steam and let them sit in that for a few hours.

Last edited:
Ah, good news and not so good news. Good she appears to be feeling a bit better but not good about the crop.

I'm going to suggest two things. First is to very gently lift the bottom of her crop up about an inch and just roll it a few times, being careful not to push too hard on the crop. If liquid begins to drip out of her beak, stop immediately. This might give her a little relief and make her feel more like eating.

The second is to feel her abdomen between her legs. Does it feel hard and swollen?
She threw up this morning and then ate a little bit of the boiled egg. She seems very interested in food and was very alert in the tub. Will check her abdomen when she dries off a bit.

Right now she's getting 250mg a day. I will weigh her. She'll be a yr old in 13 days.
When my vets prescribes it for me they have me give ~57 mg per pound *twice* a day, which is also what all of the veterinary drug books say to do. She looks like a good sized hen, so she should probably get 250 mg *twice* a day.
The latest poo. Right on my lap of course. She pecked my arm for food and is now preening herself.
Preening is a good sign.
Is there any chance you could get her to a vet? I ask because I think she might benefit from a different antibiotic and something for pain and swelling.

This poop looks like it has some blood in in too:
poop_25.png

Back
Top Bottom