Too Early for Feb Hatch-A-Long Thread??

Out of the 11 silkie eggs I have that are due today six babies hatched so far. Three are not ready yet but are doing good, hopefully they'll be out today or tomorrow and 2 quit on day 20. The two who didn't make it didn't get into hatching position so they still had their head between their thighs. One I could tell was already dead this morning and I tried saving the other one but it was too late, it had already absorbed most of the blood vessels and hadn't started breathing yet so even though I got its head free it didn't switch over to using its lungs before the blood vessels finished absorbing.

I wish I knew what was causing the malpositions, it could definitely be storage, I had to store them in a warm room unless I wanted to refrigerate them (maybe that would have been a better option). I had better luck from another breeding pen earlier in the year so I can't rule out my rooster either. I'm hoping nutrition is alright, they get a 20% protein crumble, free choice oyster shell and I give them poultry vitamins in their water at least a couple times a month. I hadn't wormed them yet when I was collecting these eggs but I wormed for the first time about a week ago and will do a follow up in a few days (not sure if they needed it but I've heard good things about doing a couple routine wormings a year).

Here are the babies so far. :)

View attachment 2024269

My current silkie boy took over a month to fertilize anything (I can't quite remember how long it took it might have been a couple months). It's been over 2 months now and after the latest batch of eggs I set I know he's still not getting everything fertilized yet. My hens didn't seem to be very receptive to him after he made some clumsy attempts at mating in the beginning. I've had other roosters pick it up a lot faster as well, I guess some are just slow.

I hope your new boy is just a bit of a slowpoke and not infertile. :fl
I have never wormed my flock because I have never needed to. I'm very iffy about giving my birds chemicals just because of the affects it can have on them. I'm someone who if my animals show no signs of illness then I do not treat for an illness.

I do know people who worm a couple times a year and their flocks do fine.

I just go by what I have learned from generations in my family. We all do our own things and that's what makes byc so unique. I love learning what others do with their flock because there's always something new to learn.

We are getting 3 dozen duck eggs tomorrow to put in our incubator. I have to hand turn them because my egg turner is made for chicken eggs and I don't want to burn out the motor using duck eggs on it. So that'll be a fun thing to do daily.

I have to figure out when to put them in lockdown. They're runners, mallards, and Pekin. Obviously some will be mixed because he just lets them all be together. I may throw a few of my muscovy Pekin mix into the bator too with his eggs if we get any between today and tomorrow.

Tom Petty is making his move! Not the prettiest of zips but he means business! :pop :jumpy

IMG_20200212_093952426.jpg

Tom Petty is making his move! Not the prettiest of zips but he means business! :pop :jumpy

View attachment 2024662

I think mine are trying to drive me mad lol. They are peeping like little mad hatters in there but nothing other than that. We hit day 21 at 4pm today but I won't be home until 8pm. Then I think I will be candling and making some air holes if they are internally pipped and working on getting them out. I heard my first peeping last night and they have been rocking but I don't see any pips yet on the outside of the egg.

My shipped eggs showed up at my house today in 30 degree weather. I had asked specifically that the box be held at the post office and the seller had also added that on his invoice. Yet they were still delivered on a day when I am at work for 13 hours and can't get them in. Thank goodness my husband was at home and brought them right in and messaged me to let me know they had showed up a day early. So they are resting and now can go in tomorrow instead of Friday.

View attachment 2024662

Tom Petty song lyrics for Waiting for tonight...chicken style :gig

"Yeah and I'm wrestling with my overcoat (shell)
Yeah I'm fighting with my thoughts (to hatch or not to hatch)
I'm gonna trust my intuition (peck and twist, peck and twist)
I'm gonna hope I don't get lost (while hatching)
For some time I've been lonely
I've been too weak to fight (but UThobbyfarmer fixed me up!)"

I think mine are trying to drive me mad lol. They are peeping like little mad hatters in there but nothing other than that. We hit day 21 at 4pm today but I won't be home until 8pm. Then I think I will be candling and making some air holes if they are internally pipped and working on getting them out. I heard my first peeping last night and they have been rocking but I don't see any pips yet on the outside of the egg.

My shipped eggs showed up at my house today in 30 degree weather. I had asked specifically that the box be held at the post office and the seller had also added that on his invoice. Yet they were still delivered on a day when I am at work for 13 hours and can't get them in. Thank goodness my husband was at home and brought them right in and messaged me to let me know they had showed up a day early. So they are resting and now can go in tomorrow instead of Friday.

:eek: I'm so glad your hubby was home to rescue the babies!!

Back
Top Bottom