Trim your rooster so his bottom looks like he's monk, basically a tonsure cut and see if things improve. He's not going to be the most fashionable thing but you should get chicks.;)
150px-Carlo_Crivelli_052.jpg

Even if your temperature was way off, as long as it wasn't above 104F, you would still see development by day 7. The humidity won't prevent early development. If the eggs were under a week since being laid, that pretty much leaves fertile yolks as the problem. The issue could be either nutrition or the rooster himself. This time of year, roosters need photo-stimulation just like the hens to be productive. In Florida that shouldn't be as big of an issue as farther north.
How old is the rooster?
What makes up all of their feed?

Nope, don't know if you've ever watched the process but even my fuzziest butted hens seem to manage their end of things just fine. It is always the rooster, the combo of excess fuzz and unavoidable lack grace there causes problems. Come springtime my fella will be sporting the tonsure and making the neighbors blush.;)
:lau What about the girls don’t they get trimmed too?

Even if your temperature was way off, as long as it wasn't above 104F, you would still see development by day 7. The humidity won't prevent early development. If the eggs were under a week since being laid, that pretty much leaves fertile yolks as the problem. The issue could be either nutrition or the rooster himself. This time of year, roosters need photo-stimulation just like the hens to be productive. In Florida that shouldn't be as big of an issue as farther north.
How old is the rooster?
What makes up all of their feed?
They are almost 9 months. They are on layer feed, and usually a treat at end of day.

The Roo & chicks shouldn't be eating layer, from what I've read, may cause liver/kidney issues. Have read that others feed Flock Raiser, Multi Purpose, All Flock etc ... I can keep only 4 - 6 chickens, a 50# of Chick Starter lasts forever. Now I start my chicks off a small bag (10#) of Chick Starter or a month, then switch to Flock Raiser & Oyster Shells in a separate dish out when they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom