They also free range 4-5 hrs a day.
Depending on the size of their range and the quality of forage, I would expect good supplementation this time of year in Florida.
I usually bump up nutrition a couple weeks before I start collecting eggs for incubating.
Layer feed is adequate nutrition for production of eating eggs but not necessarily to nurture an embryo to maturity and the strength to escape from the egg.
I don't think that is your problem though. Your eggs aren't fertile to begin with.
Your rooster is in a good age range for high fertility. You may need a new unrelated rooster. For the time being, I'd add a couple hours of light on him to see if you find halos on the yolks.

Last edited:
The Roo & chicks shouldn't be eating layer, from what I've read, may cause liver/kidney issues. Have read that others feed Flock Raiser, Multi Purpose, All Flock etc ... I can keep only 4 - 6 chickens, a 50# of Chick Starter lasts forever. Now I start my chicks off a small bag (10#) of Chick Starter or a month, then switch to Flock Raiser & Oyster Shells in a separate dish out when they start laying.
I don't have any chicks right now, when I do they will be on starter til they are old enough. As for my roos (I have 5, not all together), they are all eating the layer, some for a year, I've had no problems. Where did you read that? Do you have the link? I want to read up on it.

Depending on the size of their range and the quality of forage, I would expect good supplementation this time of year in Florida.
I usually bump up nutrition a couple weeks before I start collecting eggs for incubating.
Layer feed is adequate nutrition for production of eating eggs but not necessarily to nurture an embryo to maturity and the strength to escape from the egg.
I don't think that is your problem though. Your eggs aren't fertile to begin with.
Your rooster is in a good age range for high fertility. You may need a new unrelated rooster. For the time being, I'd add a couple hours of light on him to see if you find halos on the yolks.
Well let's see if the fuzzy butt trim, (boys and girls), helps out any. If not, I'll see about getting my friends silkie roo for a week. If he's willing.

I don't have any chicks right now, when I do they will be on starter til they are old enough. As for my roos (I have 5, not all together), they are all eating the layer, some for a year, I've had no problems. Where did you read that? Do you have the link? I want to read up on it.

A flock feed or chick feed for him. No layer food for him because the calcium is too high.
Mine get food with 18-20% protein. And I up the % when molting.

Forever. It’s fine to feed chick feed. It’s layer that you don’t want to feed Roos. Most of my older birds get a all flock, any pen with small chicks get chick food. It’s absolutely fine. :D

I can't find the link but some say it don't matter while some say it does. It's somewhere in here but just can't find it.

2x aart Since changing over (few years ago) to Flock Raiser (fermenting) & Oyster Shells on the side, I find the shells are alot stronger. It makes more sense hens need the energy (protein) cause it takes alot to form/lay that egg.

Would those on higher protein feed have less laying issues than those on layer? May start a poll if I can figure out how to word it :hmm

Back
Top Bottom