URGENT-LIFE OR DEATH EMERGENCY IN 7 WEEK CHICK

dermerchickens

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 27, 2014
Culpeper, Va
My 7 week old white leghorn got stepped on by accident, my little sister says it was his body. He can hold his neck up, and I dipped his beak in water. He can try and stand up but falls right over unless he is leaning against something, else he just falls to the left. He is in a cage with water, feed and shavings. He won't drink or eat, though when he was panting I think I dripped some water into his mouth. But we know something is wrong with him, and I don't know barely anything, I've only had chickens for 3 months. But at first his head was just hanging, and we thought his neck was broke, but he can't walk or hold his head up very long. We think he is in shock. But he is sleeping right now, and pretty alert. Because I whistle every now and then to make sure he is alive. When we go to TSC if he is not getting much better I'll et some SAV-A--CHICK for him. But what should I do?

Anyone!? We are afraid he might have internally bleeding? Am I making him suffer? Or is there a chance? This happend 15-30mins ago. He also pooed once.

By your description it does sound as if he is in pain and has serious internal injuries,the kindest thing may be to euthanize this little one.

I see this just happened a short time ago,you could try and leave him for about 24 hours,but if no improvement i would seriously consider euthanizing this little one as you do not want him suffering.

Last edited:
Okay, he has pooed a bunch more and is chirping a bit. He also can walk around a bit more and hold his head up longer. He still won't eat or drink, and tempting him with bread was no use. I put in Sam, a layed back chick his age, and Sam was drinking and eating so maybe Prince Charming will calm down more with a buddy and follow the lead and eat and drink.
But I have heard of chicks being stepped on, acting better in an hour or two, then the next day being worse then in the beginning.

All you can do right now is just monitor him and see if he improves.You should know in the next 24 hours which way he will go.

All you can do right now is just monitor him and see if he improves.You should know in the next 24 hours which way he will go.
When he sees his friends he gets up and trys to get out and act like he is okay. But he is really tired, and lays down almost as soon as they go. Do you think I should get some SAV-A-CHICK for him?
He pecked at the bread a bit, and the poo is sticking to his feathers a bit. I think he knows if his flock percieves him as hurt, as a threat to the flock, they will hurt or kill him. Poor guy.

When he sees his friends he gets up and trys to get out and act like he is okay. But he is really tired, and lays down almost as soon as they go. Do you think I should get some SAV-A-CHICK for him?
He pecked at the bread a bit, and the poo is sticking to his feathers a bit. I think he knows if his flock percieves him as hurt, as a threat to the flock, they will hurt or kill him. Poor guy.
Do not give him bread,instead try adding water to his feed(so it resembles oatmeal)this is easier for ill/frail chicks to eat,plus they love it. Try giving him mashed bananas or other healthy treats to encourage eating. Has he had anything to drink? You could try sav a chick it will not harm him.

Was it a person that stepped on him and where on his body did it happen? Internal damage could be anything from damaged organs to ruptured air sac.

Do not give him bread,instead try adding water to his feed(so it resembles oatmeal)this is easier for ill/frail chicks to eat,plus they love it. Try giving him mashed bananas or other healthy treats to encourage eating. Has he had anything to drink? You could try sav a chick it will not harm him.

Was it a person that stepped on him and where on his body did it happen? Internal damage could be anything from damaged organs to ruptured air sac.
Okay, watermelon? Strawberries? I dipped his beak in water. If we go to TSC I will get some. My 7 year old sister did, she said on his back I think... Okay. Thanks! I hope he is okay.

I would try to seperate him from the flock if you can. When a chicken sees another hurt they may try to kill him. (Ive had a chicken have mites and the other chickens picked on her so she wasnt getting any better but when i seperated her she became healthy again.)

Back
Top Bottom