We sold our first dozen eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NurseNettie, Jan 3, 2009.

1. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Not sure if this fits in this topic-- please feel free to move it if it belongs somewhere else.

Our young hens started laying crazy about 2 weeks ago, so we put out a quickly made "fresh eggs" sign, with the price ($2.00 --low by some standards, but actually a tiny bit higher than others are selling for in the area) -- in hopes to have sell a few dozen ( we didn't expect to have surplus til spring, since we started hatching late). I also made up some quickie flyers and cards to hand out (though haven't done that yet due to car issues).

Well, we got a knock on the door a couple hours ago and I opened it to a gentleman asking for a dozen eggs. I was nearly speechless--- it was exciting!! I made sure he got all big eggs, and gave him a card-- he asked if we'd be selling regularly, and introduced himself.

Yipee!!! The hens have earned their first 2 bucks!!!

2. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    YAY!!!!!

That's an awsome feeling. Isn't it? I sold eggs to co workers 18 yrs ago and just back into chickens again...I can't wait!

Hooray for your girls!

3. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Congrats!!! Thats great! I wont have enough surplus til Spring.
    I am happy they are paying their way now. hehehe! [​IMG]

4. Two days ago I sold my 5th dozen. Yup, I keep track and it feels just that great everytime so far. I'm getting $3.00 a doz.

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That's always a wonderful feeling! Congrats on your first sell! [​IMG]

6. burley

burley Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2008
    Oriential North Carolina
    we get 3.00 a dozen here. I love having the birds, having them pay for their own feed is great.

7. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    We're hoping to sell 5 dozen a week-- that will cover feed and shavings, especially once the excess roos are gone ( tomorrow if the weather holds!). I think that once the word gets out, we'll be taking orders, which is fine--- that'll mean more hens [​IMG] !!

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is just clucky! congrats! here's to many successful sales in the future!

9. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I can't wait to sell my eggs! I just need to get some more hens
    congrats on the sell

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by