Welded Wire Fence- Pros and Cons?

If you dont intend to cover the coop, all sorts of critter will have a hayday killing your birds! Possums and coons are very good at this sort of thing, and fox can climb like nobodys business! Consider getting aviary flight netting- can be purchased online in many sizes( LxW) and hole sizes( 1in , 2in). Its great and not terribly expensive for large areas( usually less than welded wire, but more than chicken wire)
Giive it a try, your chickens will thank you with their life!

I found some 1x1 welded 16 gauge wire at a local feed store, 100.00 for a 4' x 100' roll. Eventually you will have a hungry something climb your fence and loose a girl or more. Also flying visitors, eagles, crows, starlings. Another reason for covering - RAIN. My girls just look out when it's raining, and I think by giving them a dry run in the winter really cuts down on illneses.

i used the welded wire for my run and it has worked out just fine! i found it on special at lowes 100' for a little under $60 and we actually ended up with leftovers to use for the garden next year, the one precaution we did take along with putting a small roof over half the run for rain protection was burying about a foot to a foot and a half of the wire around the coop i have a really rough drawing of it

i plan on putting all sorts of chicken friendly plants in the little garden created on the sides of the run. i live in a dog heavy neighborhood and didn't want to risk losing my babies to a digger! i plan on putting a smaller hole wire on top of the welded wire at the bottom so i feel more secure with leaving them out all day.

I am considering using the 2x4 wire for the sides and roof of a run, with 1/2" hardware cloth buried around the perimeter and continuing up at least 24". I am just curious, of those with this set-up, how has it fared for you? Any predators getting through?

I have 12 gauge welded wire on a 6 X 20 drag pen with 1 inch chicken wire on top. Also, have 2 X 12 boards along bottom with chain link fence as apron. Should I wrap bottom with chicken wire? I'm in a rural setting with all sorts of animals.

This is the exact set up I am working on. But not sure how to attach the hardware cloth to the welded wire? Wire clips? plain wire twisted somehow? Not sure of the best way to do this. I plan on putting the hardware cloth on the outside of the run and placing about a foot on the ground at the base to prevent digging from the outside.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

This is the exact set up I am working on. But not sure how to attach the hardware cloth to the welded wire? Wire clips? plain wire twisted somehow? Not sure of the best way to do this. I plan on putting the hardware cloth on the outside of the run and placing about a foot on the ground at the base to prevent digging from the outside.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I use cage building clips. or zip ties will do for a temporary fix.

Several years ago you posted about using 5' welded wire fencing and t-posts as an extended run for your chickens. I have 200 feet of the 5' welded wire that I want to use to control my "free range" chickens when they are outside of their small protected run. I saw the picture of your run on your profile "my coop" and it looks like what I am hoping for. I hope you will answer a few questions for me. Did you use only t-posts and are they all just pounded into the ground (not concreted)? How did you do a gate?

Eventually I want to put up a much bigger area for chickens, ducks, etc so this extended run may be needed only a few years so I don't want a fence that I can't take down at some point but I need something that will last for 5 years or so. I can not figure out how to put together a makeshift gate using the t-posts. My daughter will help me put up the fence but she has very limited time so I need to figure out a gate solution that this old woman can do on her own.

Thank you

Several years ago you posted about using 5' welded wire fencing and t-posts as an extended run for your chickens. I have 200 feet of the 5' welded wire that I want to use to control my "free range" chickens when they are outside of their small protected run. I saw the picture of your run on your profile "my coop" and it looks like what I am hoping for. I hope you will answer a few questions for me. Did you use only t-posts and are they all just pounded into the ground (not concreted)? How did you do a gate?

Eventually I want to put up a much bigger area for chickens, ducks, etc so this extended run may be needed only a few years so I don't want a fence that I can't take down at some point but I need something that will last for 5 years or so. I can not figure out how to put together a makeshift gate using the t-posts. My daughter will help me put up the fence but she has very limited time so I need to figure out a gate solution that this old woman can do on her own.

Thank you

I forgot to say that this post is in response to a post from HEChicken several years ago.

Back
Top Bottom