What’s better chickens or ducks?

• Total voters
Oh yikes, an impossible choice! Each have their special place in my flock and in my heart...but if I really had to pick just one....

I'd have to say chickens:oops:Ducks are so messy, and I imagine there will come a time and age that I no longer want to deal with it.
Although, if I lived near a large natural body of water...
Like I said, impossible choice!!

Oh, such a hard choice!!!

Yikes....

On one hand, I love my ducks. Well, really more my one drake. A rescue. Love that man. I could do without the hens, though...... and the mess :th

Chickens, I love them. So special, so wonderful. But so, so hard to keep alive :( I rarely get a bird to live past 3 here.

By ease of keeping and pure pleasure, I'd probably choose chickens. By general personality and disease resistance I'd choose ducks any day.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Very interesting and subjective question. I suppose it is a matter of personal opinion, experience, and location/ability.
I prefer chickens, mainly because I have little to no experience with ducks.
But this is so fun to consider! And it's even more fun to read the other comments!

After we had owned chickens for several years, we decided to try ducks. We had 2 ducklings and 3 chicks in a box together, and the ducks kept spilling the water. I had to change the wood shavings at least twice a day. After about a week, they soaked one of the chicks, and the chick for so cold he/she died. At two weeks they were such a mess of wet poop and water that we didn't want to hold them, so we sold them on Craigslist for 2 dollars each.

One of our neighbors loved their ducks at ton. Our other neighbors thought they got messier as they grew older.

Ducks aren't bad, we just weren't ready for them. Other people love them. It seems that for every duck lover there is five chicken lovers.

After we had owned chickens for several years, we decided to try ducks. We had 2 ducklings and 3 chicks in a box together, and the ducks kept spilling the water. I had to change the wood shavings at least twice a day. After about a week, they soaked one of the chicks, and the chick for so cold he/she died. At two weeks they were such a mess of wet poop and water that we didn't want to hold them, so we sold them on Craigslist for 2 dollars each.

One of our neighbors loved their ducks at ton. Our other neighbors thought they got messier as they grew older.

Ducks aren't bad, we just weren't ready for them. Other people love them. It seems that for every duck lover there is five chicken lovers.
You're actually not supposed to brood ducklings and chicks together for this exact reason.

Back
Top Bottom