What did you do in the garden today?

I just remembered my friend used an orange oil of some sort. Think you can find at HD. I just found this too. IDK maybe something will sound like a good idea. Good luck!!

Cardboard Traps
Your cardboard trap is going to contain the cellulose that is certain to attract female termites. Gently spray the area with water to make that wood scent even more irresistible to them.
Placing this piece of cardboard near an impacted area will attract a mass of them. They will then get stuck to the cardboard. All you have to do then is dispose of the cardboard. The preferred method is with fire.
Sunlight and Heat
There are several other things you can try. The simple combination of sunlight and heat can actually go a long way towards killing off termites in droves. Digging up outdoor nests can kill subterranean termites through exposure.
Simply leaving pieces of furniture outside on a bright, warm day can accomplish something similar. While this method obviously won’t kill all of the termites, it can nonetheless prove to be useful for wiping out a nest or two (or more).
Nematodes
Parasitic nematodes are another popular, natural way to kill termites. A parasitic nematode is a small worm that likes to feed on things like bacteria and fungi. Certain groups of these parasites also like to feed on small bugs like termites.
Are you beginning to see the possibilities? All you have to do here is bring in a natural predator for termites, introduce that predator to the colony or infestation areas, and let everything work itself out. More often than not, this is a great way to kill a lot of termites.
At the same time, you don’t have to worry about whether or not the nematodes are going to become problematic later on. They won’t.
Orange Oil
Image Titled Orage Oil for Termites

Injecting something known as orange oil into holes in which you know lead to termite nests can work wonders. With this trick, there are situations in which you can get rid of the termites in as few as three days.
However, depending upon the severity of your infestation, it may wind up taking just a little bit longer than that.
Electrocution
Have you considered electrocution? Believe it or not, but this is another proven method for killing termites that you are going to want to try.
There are products available that can help you to utilize this natural component to kill termites. Simply make sure you don’t shock yourself in the bargain!
Liquid nitrogen
Imaged Titled Liquid Nitrogen for Termites

Liquid nitrogen can provide you with a degree of cold that can wipe out a nest with relative ease. At the same time, if you keep in mind the tip above to put your furniture out in the sun, consider the sharp contract between temperatures.
If you can create a situation in which a termite nest moves from very hot to very cold very quickly, the odds of the termites being able to handle such changes is going to be pretty low.
Essential Oils
Image Titled Essential Oils for to Kill Termites

There are a variety of essential oils that you can try, as well. A good example of this would be clove bud oil and vetiver oil. Not only can essential oils wipe out some of the termite nests that you are currently dealing with, but they can make the conditions almost intolerable for future infestations.
This is a good short-term method that also provides long-term benefits. In terms of killing and preventing termites, a measure that combines both of those things is always going to prove to be a really good idea.
Vinegar
Combining the 1/4th cup of white vinegar with a full cup of olive oil can provide you with a formidable weapon against termites. Pouring and combining these things into a spray bottle gives you a liquid that gives you two key benefits.
Not only will the spray make your wooden furniture look good, but it will also destroy any termite nests that might exist within the items.
These are just a few of the things you can try. Remember that you can take measures that can keep the termites from ever overwhelming things.
However, when you find yourself with even a suspicion that you might be infested, take steps to deal with the problem as quickly as possible. You will certainly be glad you did.
I think I am going to create a pit in the soil and build a fire. Then I may coat the wood for the new garden bed frame in neem oil. I think I can get a quart sized container of neem oil at menards.

Well Kansas is on fire (on purpose). It is, after all, April. Ah the burning season, when a simple 100 yard walk to and from the mailbox leaves you gasping for air, smelling like an ashtray, hacking up a lung (we don't need those anyway), and your eyes burning.

Egg delivery today, quick feed store and weekly grocery trip while out. Only out otherwise to feed the stock. There is NO air in the air today.

https://www.ksfire.org/

Last edited:
Good morning gardeners. I got about 10 buckets of heavy wet dirt moved into the new garden bed yesterday. It's getting close to full now. I had to stop since the buckets were so darned heavy. I finally sprayed the peach tree, then fertilized the pea patch and the hoop bed. I plan on planting those two today. I checked in with my local feed store and thankfully, they are going to take some of my stockpile of eggs off my hands. So I get to take a ride away from the house today. I don't have to go into the store, they come out to your car. They are nice people. I may try to sling more buckets of dirt today or wait until tomorrow. After I get enough dirt in that bed I'll be covering it with plastic to warm up the soil so I can get those potatoes planted. For your seedlings @BReeder!, if those cells you have them currently planted in are the fiber type not plastic you can easily insert the entire cell into a larger container. If they are plastic then I would wait until the secondary leaves are in then move into a larger pot. When I transplanted mine I was surprised at the size of the roots at the tiny stage in plant growth. I love the pictures of all the babies @Acre4Me and @TropicalBabies. I may be postponing my BO chicks pickup until the end of the month. That will give me more time to work on their new "baby" coop. That build and all the other Spring clean up chores is a lot of work for me and I'm not as quick as I used to be either. Fortunately, I don't anticipate needing to mow the grass until early May. Have a great day everyone.

I should be getting rabbits in May from a person in IL near St. Louis. Brown's Bunny Barn is the rabbitry's name. They may be relatively close to you, or at least closer than the 3 1/2 hrs I'll be driving each way. Price they gave me for 2 does and a buck of separate bloodlines was very reasonable too.
Thanks! I'm only about an hour away from St. Louis, so probably not too far from them either! I'll have to look into them.

For your seedlings @BReeder!, if those cells you have them currently planted in are the fiber type not plastic you can easily insert the entire cell into a larger container. If they are plastic then I would wait until the secondary leaves are in then move into a larger pot.
By secondary leaves, do you mean the first "real" leaves or a second set of "real" leaves? Most of my tomatoes have a pair of actual leaves beyond what comes out of the seed already.

Ask and you shall recieve.
View attachment 2077798View attachment 2077799View attachment 2077801View attachment 2077805View attachment 2077806View attachment 2077807

There's still some small plants. Some peppers are still germinating even. There's a lot that have real leaves though.
Fantastic!!! 🤩 I personally would give the peppers a more time. All look great but the stems can be a little fragile to manhandling, most look like they still have some root room to grow into. You can take a pencil and push up on the roots from underneath flat and it should pop out if ready. If loam crumbles... not ready. Maybe start with the biggest and leave the littles to grow some more. Be careful to not damage the stems ;)
LOVE the photos!!!!

Back
Top Bottom