What to do with bazillions of apples????

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by luvmychicknkids, Jul 29, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I have access to as many free apples as I could possibly want. I have no clue what kind they are. I already got a bunch (yes, green) and have made tons of aplesauce which I canned and I am making spiced apple rings. I prefer green apples becasue everything turns out with a nice texture and a tartness I prefer. Now, since this is FREE FOOD (WOWWWW) I want to utilize it as much as possible. What else can I do with some of these???

2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Apple crisp or apple pies? My mom use to can apple for pies too.

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Yeah, I thought about canning some for pie filling, I need to do that. I am wanting to put away as much food as I can before winter (yeah, that is where my special title comes from) because I spend so much in heat and driving then.

4. MTtroutwithwings

MTtroutwithwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2007
    Montana Country
    DEHYDRATE them for snacks [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Apple jelly or apple jam! With or without ginger added. If you have some underripe apples, you don't even need commercial pectin.

If you don't mind using Clearjel you can make apple pie filling and can it in pie-sized amounts for winter use.

Jealous of your apple glut [​IMG],

Pat

6. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Actually, MTtroutwithwings, I left the peel on and just cored them for my applesauce.....we like it that way. [​IMG] I also added cinnamon...the kids like it even though I despise cinnamon. [​IMG] I tolerate it for the kiddos. [​IMG] LOL...I see you noticed I already made applesauce. [​IMG] Can you dry them without a dehydrator?

OOOOHHHHH, I don't know why I didn't think of jelly and jam. I also need to make apple butter.....my mom would love to be gifted with some of that and she won't make it herself. [​IMG] Yeah, I feel pretty lucky. It is pretty cool to see the jars of food adding up and the bank account not going down because of it!!! LOL

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Send them to me - my horses & donkeys love them! [​IMG]

8. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    MTtroutwithwings - You are so blessed to live where you do. I was just out there last week, and it's a gorgeous area.

Off-topic, I know. Sorry. [​IMG]

9. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:LOL...sorry, but these things are HEAVY!!!!!!! [​IMG]

My mother has some neighbors with a very neglected little horse....I will be bringing some to him for sure.

10. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Donate the extras to the local food pantry or senior center? Sell them at the roadside? Make apple butter or apples sauce to give at Christmas time in a gift basket? With cute, country labels, maybe.

Slice them and freeze for making apple pies during the holidays. Make some apple face dolls for Christmas gifts. Dried apple wreaths with cinnamon sticks for the holidays. Juice them and freeze the concentrate. Core them out and use them with cinnamon votives for a party or dinner. Chicken treats, deer treats, dog treats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by