What type of behavior is this? (Photos)

My broody hen did something similar- she tried to fight with a hen through the wire that was above her in the pecking order.
This has is definitely top hen. It’s only been her and her sister but now that I’m introducing more to the flock she is definitely letting everyone know who’s boss.

I don’t know if she’s broody or not, but my black australorp hen did this once when she snuck past me and got into the quarantine pen. I bought two GLWs that were the same age and as soon as she saw them, she puffed up just like that and tried fighting them. A lot of the time I think it’s a territorial thing, because she’s high up in the pecking order and my GLWs were newcomers in ‘her’ territory. She wasn’t broody at the time and never has been yet.
I tend to agree with you. She seems to be establishing who’s boss.

She's puffing up to look big and imposing and show them who's boss around here. That's not a broody reaction. If she could get to them, she'd probably follow through with a peck or two as well.

She's puffing up to look big and imposing and show them who's boss around here. That's not a broody reaction. If she could get to them, she'd probably follow through with a peck or two as well.
Will she eventually back off? The little seramas share a different coop but I would like them to forage together when possible.

She’s never been broody. She’s only 8 months old. She never sits in her nesting box unless she’s laying an egg.
IDK.
Though, even if she's never been broody, there's a high chance she IS broody. Plus, Orpingtons are a very common breed people keep to rely on them going broody.

Will she eventually back off? The little seramas share a different coop but I would like them to forage together when possible.
She may never learn to love them, but she'll probably get used to them and tolerate them eventually. She'll need a lot of time and exposure to accept them though. Keep bringing them out and leaving them within her sight as often as you can. Eventually you'll be able to let them all out together, but there's no way of knowing how long that will take. Read her cues and let her guide the process. If she still puffs up, then she needs more time. If she's okay most of the time but occasionally still puffs up a little, then probably needs a little more time. When she starts just ignoring them, you can probably try letting them out together, somewhere with lots of places for the seramas to escape if need be (things to hide behind or under). And supervise those first outings carefully. They'll get used to each other, it will just take some time.

She may never learn to love them, but she'll probably get used to them and tolerate them eventually. She'll need a lot of time and exposure to accept them though. Keep bringing them out and leaving them within her sight as often as you can. Eventually you'll be able to let them all out together, but there's no way of knowing how long that will take. Read her cues and let her guide the process. If she still puffs up, then she needs more time. If she's okay most of the time but occasionally still puffs up a little, then probably needs a little more time. When she starts just ignoring them, you can probably try letting them out together, somewhere with lots of places for the seramas to escape if need be (things to hide behind or under). And supervise those first outings carefully. They'll get used to each other, it will just take some time.
Thank you for the information. I agree with you. I have seen her get more used to them but not there yet. We’ll just keep waiting for her to get used to them being around.

Back
Top Bottom