When A Chicken Dies

EggHappy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Caroline County, Virginia
Sorry if this is a silly line of questioning, or if this is duplicating a thread that might already exist. Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm still researching chicken raising, but have to wonder what you folks do when one of your chickens dies. I mean, do you eat it, bury it, set it out for predators, or what?

I know that I personally would not be able to eat my own chicken. I've already decided that when the time comes, I will donate mine to the wildlife rehabber group I volunteer with because I'm sure the hawks/owls will consume them.

I've also got to wonder, do you have to determine the cause of death before knowing a dead chicken is safe for consumption?

When a chicken dies~
I only experienced this once. one of my white Cochin's flew directly into the wall and broke its neck. Luckily my papa was over (he is such a lifesaver) . He took it home with him 7 buried it. At least that's what he told me.
Never eat a bird that dies. Either it died of disease worms parasites
If killed bye a predator they could have rabies
And if killed bye natural causes they probably way to rubbery to eat anyways.
-mark

I wouldn't leave it out for the predators as that might "invite" them for more. I wouldn't eat it either as I don't know the cause of death.

If you don't know how it died, you definitely don't want to eat it. Leaving it out for predators will invite more predators to go after your live chickens. I just dig a 2' - 3' hole and bury them. I just had to do that last week. One of my Buff Orpingtons died of unknown causes however I believe it was genetic because she never looked quite normal.

Mine get burried when they pass on. It's a simple comfort knowing that at least some part of them resides here forever.
smile.png

I saw a dog kill one by breaking its neck. Since it was whole, I ate that one. But others, especially those killed by hawks, are torn up and beyond salvaging. Further, if it is summer, and you are not right there after the kill to get the bird dressed quickly, it will be covered quickly with flies. I usually put them in a garbage bag and into the garbage. But I know my dog would dig up any chicken I tried to bury.

Back
Top Bottom