Young cockerel in city without flock

paddling_pekins

Chirping
Jun 3, 2019
Hi,

A friend of mine has a flock of hens with a leading cockerel. Earlier in the year, one of the hens hatched several chicks, one of which has now been identified as a cockerel. This has happened in the past and, due to rivalries with the resident male, the last chicken was killed.

I am desperate to stop this happening again, as although my friend has searched for a new home, she has found it impossible to do so. The bird is hand reared and friendly and I am already the owner of two, very noisy female pekin ducks.

I live in a residential area however and am scared about noise levels. Are the anti-crowing collars inhumane? And can I keep him without hens with my ducks?

Please help me with this as I have no other option as if I do not take him he will be butchered and I am so eager to make sure that it doesn't happen. I am also not able to purchase hens to live with him as I am not allowed any more birds

Thanks

Hello paddling_pekins.
Welcome to BYC.
Do I understand correctly that you are considering taking on this cockerel of your friends?
Are you allowed roosters where you live? If you are then don't worry about the noise.

Hello paddling_pekins.
Welcome to BYC.
Do I understand correctly that you are considering taking on this cockerel of your friends?
Are you allowed roosters where you live? If you are then don't worry about the noise.
X2!

If Roosters are not allowed, the collar will not make much of a difference. They still crow just not as loudly. If a neighbor hears it, they will likely turn you in

Hello paddling_pekins.
Welcome to BYC.
Hi,
Yes, after looking at the council rules, I read that cockerels are allowed as long as they do not disturb others at unsocial hours, and, seeing as my ducks are already pretty noisy and I have not yet had a complaint, noise levels should be ok?
I do not want him to be taken away though! :(

I am still unsure as to whether my parents will agree...any tips?!

Thanks so much for replying!

X2!

If Roosters are not allowed, the collar will not make much of a difference. They still crow just not as loudly. If a neighbor hears it, they will likely turn you in
Hey,
So the collars don't work?
I have never owned chickens before and only want to take this little guy on to give him a good life. Will he be okay without hens? And when will he begin to crow?
He is only 6 weeks at the moment. I read about keeping him inside at night will minimise early morning crowing but I am not sure,

Thanks for replying!

Hey,
So the collars don't work?
I have never owned chickens before and only want to take this little guy on to give him a good life. Will he be okay without hens? And when will he begin to crow?
He is only 6 weeks at the moment. I read about keeping him inside at night will minimise early morning crowing but I am not sure,

Thanks for replying!
The collars make them quieter but not by much. They also can cause irritation and sometimes ill fittings ones can strangle them

Yeah. I have heard bad things about the collars. If they try to swallow food that is too big while wearing one I have heard about choking. But I do not have personal experience with the collars, only what I have read.

Hi,
Yes, after looking at the council rules, I read that cockerels are allowed as long as they do not disturb others at unsocial hours, and, seeing as my ducks are already pretty noisy and I have not yet had a complaint, noise levels should be ok?
I do not want him to be taken away though! :(

I am still unsure as to whether my parents will agree...any tips?!

Thanks so much for replying!
A rooster does not "absolutely" need hens. In fact, have a whole little flock of extra roosters. I have also hand-reared several as pets - all solos. They were the tamest, sweetest, most entertaining birds I've had. My current "pet roo" walks on a leash and makes regular trips to schools and daycares. He's quite the little ambassador!

A rooster does not "absolutely" need hens. In fact, have a whole little flock of extra roosters. I have also hand-reared several as pets - all solos. They were the tamest, sweetest, most entertaining birds I've had. My current "pet roo" walks on a leash and makes regular trips to schools and daycares. He's quite the little ambassador!
Ah sounds adorable! I would love to be able to keep the little guy, just cautious about noise levels. Do you live in a residential area? And if so how do you keep him relatively quiet? He is so cute and I would love to keep him
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom