Young quail has been scalped and eye is badly damaged. Wound smells bad.

Pics
I've had several pheasants scalped by coons but I haven't ever had a quail scalped.
My pheasants were 1st generation out of wild stock and extremely flighty. I didn't want to injure them further by trying to catch them and treat, so I left them where they were (after disposing of the coon) you could actually see bare skull. It took about 4 months for the skin to grow back...took almost 2 years before feathers returned fully. You can't even tell that they had been scalped.

Birds are pretty good at healing themselves if givin a place to heal without getting harassed or further attacks.
Personally, I wouldn't use peroxide on that type of wound, you'll do more damage to the skin than good. On other pheasants that weren't flighty, I used sterile saline solution to clean the wound and it won't harm the skin, I would use that, pat it dry, them apply a thin coating of Neosporin.

Make sure it has water and feed close by so it doesn't have to move around alot. You'll want to keep it warm but not hot...most birds respond better to treatment when they are in a warm environment. They don't have to expend the energy to produce heat to stay warm, they can use it for healing.
There's not much you can do about the eye, just make sure it doesn't get worse...it could lead to an infection that would be hard to treat and probably would kill the bird.

Sorry this has happened, I know how your freaking out but your doing all you can, just give the bird a chance to heal himself.

I had this happen with my first batch of quail. Right as their testosterone kicked in at about five weeks, one of the males scalped another. Determining the aggressor was easy, as he was so busy grabbing the heads of others he didn't pay much mind to me. He was the first to go. The second, was my horribly mangled dude; I was pretty sure that he was going to die from injuries or from infection of same, and rather than his life be meaningless, I 'invited' him to lunch. Not saying that you should eat your dude, just saying that you could.

I've had several pheasants scalped by coons but I haven't ever had a quail scalped.
My pheasants were 1st generation out of wild stock and extremely flighty. I didn't want to injure them further by trying to catch them and treat, so I left them where they were (after disposing of the coon) you could actually see bare skull. It took about 4 months for the skin to grow back...took almost 2 years before feathers returned fully. You can't even tell that they had been scalped.

Birds are pretty good at healing themselves if givin a place to heal without getting harassed or further attacks.
Personally, I wouldn't use peroxide on that type of wound, you'll do more damage to the skin than good. On other pheasants that weren't flighty, I used sterile saline solution to clean the wound and it won't harm the skin, I would use that, pat it dry, them apply a thin coating of Neosporin.

Make sure it has water and feed close by so it doesn't have to move around alot. You'll want to keep it warm but not hot...most birds respond better to treatment when they are in a warm environment. They don't have to expend the energy to produce heat to stay warm, they can use it for healing.
There's not much you can do about the eye, just make sure it doesn't get worse...it could lead to an infection that would be hard to treat and probably would kill the bird.

Sorry this has happened, I know how your freaking out but your doing all you can, just give the bird a chance to heal himself.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I put a small amount of iodine on it and now i'm putting ointment on it and then I'll let him rest.

I had this happen with my first batch of quail. Right as their testosterone kicked in at about five weeks, one of the males scalped another. Determining the aggressor was easy, as he was so busy grabbing the heads of others he didn't pay much mind to me. He was the first to go. The second, was my horribly mangled dude; I was pretty sure that he was going to die from injuries or from infection of same, and rather than his life be meaningless, I 'invited' him to lunch. Not saying that you should eat your dude, just saying that you could.
No I'm not going to eat him. I will keep him separate if I have to or even find him a good home. Thanks for the advice though!

He's now back in his space with ointment and iodine. He has access to food and electrolytes. Thank you for everyones help. I couldn't have done it without you. I will keep you updated on what happens to him and I may have more questions.
Is there anything else I can do right now to make him more comfortable?

Hes in the house so there aren't many flies. He is seperated so the others can't peck him more and I plan to keep him separate until he heals. Thank you for your advice, I'm glad most wounds like this heal.
i had a duck with a much worst wound and missing eye that healed fine. Just keep an eye on him yes I would keep him away from the others. It will take around 4 mo.

I would not ever eat my duck if he had a wound. With the right treatment, i'm sure he will do fine..

He is resting under his light right now. I just noticed that he has not made a single noise all day. He flapped and squirmed but he didn't chirp. Is he stunned or is shock? Is something else wrong with him? I don't usually handle him much cause he doesn't like it but he usually makes noise of some sort. He sometimes crows too.

He's now back in his space with ointment and iodine. He has access to food and electrolytes. Thank you for everyones help. I couldn't have done it without you. I will keep you updated on what happens to him and I may have more questions.
Is there anything else I can do right now to make him more comfortable?
Make sure he is not too cold birds can easily go in to shock if hurt. Do you have a heating pad?

Back
Top Bottom