Cochin Quandary

woolymama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 10, 2009
Central Virginia

My blue Cochin "pullet" Clementine is 24 weeks old and has never showed signs of being anything other than a girl. Until now. Suddenly it seems she's all red around the eyes and her comb and wattles seem larger and redder, too. I know some Cochin hens have fairly large combs and wattles compared to other breeds, but take a look. Do I have another roo here?

Let's try this pic again:
40937_091409_091.jpg

Hope that's better.

Most of my birds are 24 weeks - the little Amercaucana there is a bit younger than the others. I got them all from the same lady and I know for certain this Cochin is that age. Nobody has started laying yet, and the one "confirmed" roo I have (also 24 weeks) is a Wyandotte - he's smaller than this girl/boy, but he has been crowing for over a month now. This cochin? Not a peep. But she/he is HUGE.

Well- cochins are slow to develop. I have seen this even more so in the standards. I have banty cochin roos that have been crowing for a month. The standards that are the same age- not a peep. They do "play fight" quite a bit though. The roos always seem a bit more curious too. They give me that "whatcha doin?" look every time I'm near them. The hens are more like "let me out!" or ""whatcha got?"
tongue.png

BTW- I just noticed how your cochin is dark on the top half, not just the neck. This is usually how the blue roos feather in.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom