18 eggs with 2 pips on day 21 woohoo....

Mom2Cool

Crowing
15 Years
May 8, 2008
Ok this was my 2nd attempt at hatching eggs in a still air incubator that I'd had in the shed. The first attempt I had NO hatchings & those were purchased (& shipped) eggs & later after cracking them open I'd realized they must have been shaken up. It's so hard to see through brown eggs when doing a candling & well we're still new to that here anyway.

So anyway 21 days ago I gave it a whirl again this time using 18 eggs from my Buff Orpington pullets in the back yard & my 1 Black Austrolorp & my 1 BO Roo.... With this being day 21 & my last experience I'd about given up hope completely & thought I must be squirrely because last time candling I thought for sure I'd seen movemnt & then here tonight I'd gotten 2 pips! And so at least I know I'm not hilusinating with the egg movement... LOL And now how do I keep myself from going back to look ever 30 seconds??? Oh & how cute that they do cheep cheep before being hatched! Sounded like we had a bird in the room.
wink.png

CONGRATS!!! I am going through the same thing. So far I have had no hatchings. But I got my bator on christmas and mine so far... nothing. I have tried three times with at least six eggs, but congrats good job.

Quote:
LOL what kind of eggs are you trying to hatch? I don't mind saying I think now that I've had a pip in 2 different eggs I have more anxiety than I did before. You know this afternoon I was a bit resigned that this hatching wouldn't work either & I was getting ready with the idea of going to get some chicks etc.
smile.png
I'd literally told hubby this today in an email "well I'll wait until the day after tomorrow to crack open one to see what if anything developed &/or to figure out what went wrong if I can, but then I think I might just order a few or see what the local feed store will be getting in. I had a few months ago been hoping to get some Speckled Sussex hens & now I've an excuse." it was 2 hours later I went upstairs & there was a pip.
smile.png
Of course I may still go looking for the Speckled Sussex hens but shhh don't tell hubby that. LOL

Of course now I wait for the next step of the 2 pips really breaking out of their shell & maybe a few more to follow? Talk about an anxiety attack!

3 pipped now & waiting & waiting & waiting. what's that a watched pot never boils? maybe I should go to bed....

Quote:
yes well between waiting for my own & being able to *hear them peep* every once in a while & Akane who has a live cam going with hers hatching it's difficult to go to bed. But I do think I'm gonna crash on the couch for a while though or tomorrow I'm gonna wanna crash all day.

Congrats and good luck, Mom2!
thumbsup.gif
fl.gif
I use a still air incubator too, and the more I use it the better my hatches are becoming...provided the eggs are viable.

I've got 20 in the hatcher right now...just found 2 pips, and this is only late day 19. Just 18 more to go!
celebrate.gif

well I have to admit that the next time I imagine putting my eggs in during the day because every once in a while I've got to go back & recount my days because now I'm so sleepy & I'd put them in in the middle of the night. LOL It's day 22 here & because of the time of day it's already 1/2 way through day 22 & I've not got any zipped yet though I do have 5 pipped now
fl.gif
& some times they're a lot louder than other times. too cute to hear them peeping as they pip the shells.

Ok so now how long is it between pipping & zipping? I promised myself I wouldn't go nerotic here. And so NO I didn't stay awake until 4 am watching
caf.gif
akane's live streaming egg show there & then hovering over my own....... that would be nerotic wouldn't it??? Great show there btw!

Back
Top Bottom