$295??? They're kidding right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Perhaps, but think about what the patient's finances have to go through before that write-off happens. Can they buy a car afterward? A home? A write-off like that doesn't come without consequences to the consumer...

Not to mention...someone pays that $100,000. Patients who come in after the write-off pay a little more because someone else couldn't in the same way that the cost of shoplifting is "baked-in" to the cost of groceries, so that loss is coming out of our pockets anyway ("our" meaning those of us with insurance and/or who are able to pay).

Quote:
We can agree that you draw more flies with honey than vinegar... I just thought you were suggesting being nice as a workable fix to a serious problem.

I see now what you were saying, I think.

We thank our lucky stars for having the coverage we do. Generic is 3.00 and name brand is 9.00. We wouldn't have that if my DH had not of retired from the military. If we have them filled on a base (which we don't have around here) then it wouldn't cost us anything. I really hate that people have to pay the amounts they do for their meds.

Quote:
Did your doc take a 25-OH-D level first and monitor it regularly, or is 3,000IUs just kinda your doc's standard suggestion? Vitamin D is fat soluble and can be OD'd, which is why a lot of docs are wary of it.. Those who will advise it are reticent to advise significant dosages.. Plus, they have no way of knowing who's in the sun regularly, with how much skin exposed, and for how long, etc.. It's almost like copper in goats, where it's easier to manage a chronic deficiency than deal with a toxicity, so that's kinda what they do. In my experience, anyway..

Even though 3K IU is 1.5x the FDA's recommended daily limit, if you started out severely deficient, you may find that your levels are still kinda low.. Spending about 30min in the sun with lots of skin exposed can provide about 10,000IU, and you could do that every single day and not have any adverse reactions.

Just sayin'....if it's not actually been checked, it's a fairly simple test..
smile.png

Quote:
Ginkgo Biloba is an TH1/cellular immunity booster.. It's actually recommended that people who take immunosuppressants like cyclosporin NOT take ginkgo because it may decrease the effect of the cyclosporin -- and cyclosporin is stout.. It's basically a TH1 killer, used in transplant patients to prevent graft rejection, etc..

Maybe I'm off my nut, but it seems to me that the very last thing people with autoimmune conditions like lupus and (in my belief) fibromyalgia would want to do is boost the very thing that causes them so much grief -- their TH1 immune system.

Did your rheumie actually suggest gingko, or...?

Sorry...I feel like I'm borderline threadjacking now..
hide.gif

Quote:
Perhaps, but think about what the patient's finances have to go through before that write-off happens. Can they buy a car afterward? A home? A write-off like that doesn't come without consequences to the consumer...

Not to mention...someone pays that $100,000. Patients who come in after the write-off pay a little more because someone else couldn't in the same way that the cost of shoplifting is "baked-in" to the cost of groceries, so that loss is coming out of our pockets anyway ("our" meaning those of us with insurance and/or who are able to pay).

Quote:
We can agree that you draw more flies with honey than vinegar... I just thought you were suggesting being nice as a workable fix to a serious problem.

I see now what you were saying, I think.

Again this thread is NOT about the bigger picture and I am intentionally trying to stay away from it out of respect for Gritsar. But as a general rule medical bills are not held against in the case of credit. If a medical debtor pays even $1 a month they stay off that radar. I am trying to make suggestions that may actually help the people reading this thread actually looking for help.

Quote:
What are the underlying issues that have you on prenatal vitamins? Have you checked with Duke for assistance because of those issues if they exist. If there are not issues why would a healthy diet and minimal over the counter vitamins not work?

Uh, the underlying condition is that I'm pregnant!
lau.gif

Quote:
If you'd explain that to my mother's creditors, I'd appreciate it. Medical debt is still the leading cause of bankruptcy, if it was as easy as paying $1 a month do you really think that would be the case?

Robin'sBrood :

Quote:
What are the underlying issues that have you on prenatal vitamins? Have you checked with Duke for assistance because of those issues if they exist. If there are not issues why would a healthy diet and minimal over the counter vitamins not work?

Uh, the underlying condition is that I'm pregnant!
lau.gif

Yea I got that Robin, but what is the reason for the Dr to prescribe RX vitamins, taking the wrong quantity of any vitamin can be dangerous during pregnancy. Some doctors are unaware of the high iron content in the water in NC. Should you be on Iron laden vitamins you could be endangering the health of yourself and your baby and be subject to long term damage to the intestinal tract. Vitamins in script dosages should only be prescribed after rigorous blood testing for deficiencies. Even OTC vitamins should be taken with precaution, and with advice.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did your doc take a 25-OH-D level first and monitor it regularly, or is 3,000IUs just kinda your doc's standard suggestion? Vitamin D is fat soluble and can be OD'd, which is why a lot of docs are wary of it.. Those who will advise it are reticent to advise significant dosages.. Plus, they have no way of knowing who's in the sun regularly, with how much skin exposed, and for how long, etc.. It's almost like copper in goats, where it's easier to manage a chronic deficiency than deal with a toxicity, so that's kinda what they do. In my experience, anyway..

Even though 3K IU is 1.5x the FDA's recommended daily limit, if you started out severely deficient, you may find that your levels are still kinda low.. Spending about 30min in the sun with lots of skin exposed can provide about 10,000IU, and you could do that every single day and not have any adverse reactions.

Just sayin'....if it's not actually been checked, it's a fairly simple test..
smile.png

Quote:
Ginkgo Biloba is an TH1/cellular immunity booster.. It's actually recommended that people who take immunosuppressants like cyclosporin NOT take ginkgo because it may decrease the effect of the cyclosporin -- and cyclosporin is stout.. It's basically a TH1 killer, used in transplant patients to prevent graft rejection, etc..

Maybe I'm off my nut, but it seems to me that the very last thing people with autoimmune conditions like lupus and (in my belief) fibromyalgia would want to do is boost the very thing that causes them so much grief -- their TH1 immune system.

Did your rheumie actually suggest gingko, or...?

Sorry...I feel like I'm borderline threadjacking now..
hide.gif

I'm trying hard to understand, but started on a new dose of a med today and I'm quite loopy. So, sorry if I'm misunderstanding you and not answering your questions.
I can't be out in the sun much. The reasons are complicated. When I do go out I am usually covered up pretty well - arms, legs, hands. Yes, my internist checked my levels and we decided together that 3,000 IUs was a good dosage for me. It is helping. Being the bad patient that I am, I stopped taking it in the summertime (when I was feeling good). Internist ragged on me to start taking it again. I still refuse to take the prilosec for a bleeding ulcer that he says I have.
hide.gif

Two things my rheum. believes highly in is the gingko and the magnesium. I played heck trying to find the magnesium around here since we live in Podunk, Arkansas. Health food store around here? NOT!
The lupus is in a remission of sorts and I'm not taking meds. for it at this time.
I believe in taking an active part in my health care.

Quote:
If you'd explain that to my mother's creditors, I'd appreciate it. Medical debt is still the leading cause of bankruptcy, if it was as easy as paying $1 a month do you really think that would be the case?

Yes I know that as the case, again I worked for a university, a hospital. Not every medical professional or group is the same but they all know it is better to get something than nothing. And throwing it in credit land equals getting nothing or half of next to nothing.

And nobody can be forced to file bankruptcy, it is a choice. The hospital may put a lien on a home in some cases. But all the lean means is you cannot sell the home or borrow against it. There seems to be a lot of untruths floating around about medical professionals or groups. Most times when individuals file bankruptcy it is because they see that as a option. We all know people that file every 5 years, and most filings are repeat offenders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom