6 week old chick with a balloon crop

babybird2003

Chirping
Apr 20, 2015
Colorado
Can anyone give me ideas? She still eats and drinks a little. The crop feels like a water balloon. It's not hard. There is no smell coming from her mouth. She is acting lethargic. Should I make her vomit?

Could she have coccidiosis? Symptoms are lethargy, standing around hunched or puffed up, runny poops with mucus or blood, and not eating. The crop can sometimes be slow to empty. Treatment is Corid (amprollium) in the water. Dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of Corid powder per gallon of water for 5 days.

She doesn't have runny poop or bloody poop. She's still eating today. I made her vomit last night and grass and some savings came up. She hasn't been outside to eat grass since Sunday. There was quite a bit of food I there as well. Her crop is really stretched out. I've read that once it's stretched it probably won't go back and she will have pendulum crop and probably not make it. Any ideas?

Did your chicken live? I got home last night and one of my 9 weeks old EEggers has a balloon crop as well. She's rather lethargic and not eating much although she did drink water (which made her throw up) we separated her from the rest of the group so they wouldn't pick on her.
I'm not sure what else to do for her and she looks so lost and not feeling good. Not sure if we should call the Vet (we have a large dairy so not even sure if they work on chickens). I hope someone responds.

Corid or amprollium is found at most feed stores and online in liquid or powder form. Other brands are Amprol and Ampromed. Look in the cattle medicines.

shopping
shopping

Last edited:
I found the corid stuff at tractor supply.
My chick is still living. I left her with the others because they aren't bothering her and they seem to perk her up because when they eat she eats and drinks. She seemed a little better last night but her crop is still huge. I did feel grit in her crop last night that I hadn't felt before. I've been making her vomit and then massaging the crop. I'm afraid her crop will never go back to normal.

I found the corid stuff at tractor supply.
My chick is still living. I left her with the others because they aren't bothering her and they seem to perk her up because when they eat she eats and drinks. She seemed a little better last night but her crop is still huge. I did feel grit in her crop last night that I hadn't felt before. I've been making her vomit and then massaging the crop. I'm afraid her crop will never go back to normal.

I would only massage her crop, but not vomit her. She needs to drink the Corid or you will need to give her some with a dropper. Her crop may just be slow functioning because of cocci.

If I give corid to all the chicks will it hurt the ones not showing syptoms? Also I'm feeding medicated food. Do I stop feeding the medicated food while they're on the medicine? Can they still get cocci if they're on the medicated food?

Back
Top Bottom