An owl carried my MIL's poodle 100 feet

Her dog died two hours ago.
hit.gif

holy smokes!! i was just thinking about the hawks carrying my 11 pound sheltie!! omg!!!!! now i know this might be true!!! thanks for the heads up. maybe my dog needs a chicken run (potty)
roll.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Do not worry about an 11 pound sheltie being taken by either a hawk or an owl. No owl or just about any other bird of prey can carry off an 11 pound dog. Small tea cup poodles, or pup can be and are taken fairly regularly . I witnessed this 10 years ago when I saw a very small poodle taken by a Great Grey owl. I think Great Greys are as big as they get. If you have ever held an owl (even a big one) you will feel just how light in weight they really are. It takes a VERY large owl to carry off even a very small dog or pup. Can a hawk or owl inflict a lot of damage on a small dog even if it can't fly away with it??...that I an sure can happen and does on a regular basis. So sorry to hear that the old poodle didn't survive the attack. Very sad ending to what I'm sure was a long and happy friendship...

Last edited:
Great horned owls routinely prey on skunks...which are fairly large creatures. Oftentimes you will smell skunk, but not see any roadkill or body and its because a GHO carried it off. So yes, they can carry off cats and small dogs.

Edited to say: Sorry for your MIL's loss - sounds like the dog had a nice long life though.

Last edited:
My DH had a toy poodle that was carried off by a hawk. Luckily, the hawk dropped Muttso before it was too high. Muttso lived to the ripe old age of 22. Was blind, deaf, with no teeth by the time he passed, but was still enjoying life.

Wow, I've read about it. My MIL wanted to get a dachshund but I told her if she did I wouldn't dog sit for her....we have plenty of owls and I don't want to have to stand out there with the dog on a leash while it does it's business. She's now looking at getting a Basset. I'll have to share this story with her so she knows I didn't just make it up.

I'm so sorry for you MIL's little dog. I'm sure it was traumatic for you MIL to see.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom