Australia - Six states..and that funny little island.

Hi all, Just wondering what people in south east qld (brisbane) use as bedding in the run? I have a movable electric fence for free ranging but trying to decide whether to use hay, wood chips, or wood shavings in the run
I use hemp in the nesting boxes, sugar cane mulch in the coop & the deep litter method in my runs so everything gets thrown in the run: leaf litter, old coop bedding, mulch ~ whatever is lying around I think the girls might enjoy. They turn it all over foraging & I have lovely compost/manure whenever I want it.

Wyandottes are stunning looking birds!

.....but that's pretty much all I know about them :gig
I have a bantam who is very sweet but WhoDat had an absolute rotter in her flock that she had to rehome over bullying issues. I would love some silver laced. After dealing with Campines nearly anything else has to be easier. :lau

Hi @Aussie-Chookmum ! I'm not sure which is best, so I provided a variety. Sandy likes to ignore all perches and roost on the edge of a nest box. Mary & Janet like to roost on a perch with a rectangular profile, roughly 2x4cm. Previously, they preferred thick natural branches.

Not sure what type of perch is best for their feet though. I've been assuming they'll move if they need to.
The 2x4. Chooks roost flat footed, not with their toes curled.

My poor Lucy has been picked on for a while now.. Her face is bare and injured- see pic. I bought Cetrigen but do not want to spray too close to her eyes. Can I spray some into a bowl and apply it another way?
lucy.jpg

Hi @kattfink I'm sure you could do that.
I'm also wondering if the chicken who's picking on her can be separated? Or maybe rehomed?
Also, is there a vet who can advise you on treating Lucy's wounds?
Lastly, it's a very hard situation. Best wishes to you in supporting Lucy's recovery.

Back
Top Bottom