California-Southern

Hey So Cal chicken ppl. New guy here. i built a coop, got some older chickens from a friend of mine and now i have 6 RIR and 8 BR. wondering if everyones flock in the IE area is having a hard time w the weather swing. Some days 5 eggs some days 1.

YUP, I live outside of LA and have the same problem...crazy weather for sure......AND>
welcome-byc.gif

We have alot of fun on BYC and us guys that live in the LA / IE areas get together for meet-ups from time to time so check back. Right now there won't be anything till after the holidays...just missed the last one....
sad.png

Quote:

what's happening yall
yippiechickie.gif
anybody get new chicks today?

nope... but wish i did have Faverolles

i am about 35 miles ish south of LA area and i hate the rain... the chickens hate it too and everything's all muddy... oh well... just looking forward to nicer weather and hopefully i can sneak in a few more chickens haha my chickens are almost laying... hoping within the next few weeks.

hey Barb, how are the chickys doing?

I'm noth east of LA up in the high desert above Mojave. I have two new baby chicks (two weeks now) Mama is a blue laced wyandott but the eggs were Old English Game bantam eggs. It was the only rooster I had that was mature enough. They look like white chicks that have rolled in ashes. I also got my first ble/green egg today from a hen I just bought off a friend. Actually I bought three but the others are Plymouth Rock and Wellsummers. I also have a pair of silkie/marans and something else so they're only half bantam. The roo is black with the feathers on his feet like the hen but he has brown, white and gold feathers on his back and wings and his comb on his head looks like he ran into a wall and flattened it out. He's something to see. I don't have photos of him yet. Sorry if you had rain. We had a little but not much.

We had rain, lightning, thunder, and *hail* here in Altadena! I now know that my coop plans are going to have to include a heater, which I had thought I didn't need. Better to learn that now, before I have chickens or a coop! (makes mental note) (has nowhere to put it)

I have had a bad week or so. A dog I was watching broke into my coop and killed my entire flock of faverolles. We are on the mend and I have a couple of plymouth rocks chicks that i picked up at the feed store to give me something to do. I will rebuild the flock in the spring. It's very sad not to hear the crowing in the morning. As for the heater in the coop, i put a 100 watt light in mine last winter just during the nights to give them an extra boost on the cold nights. Im in apple valley, so prob about the same conditions. They weathered it just fine. Good luck with your flocks and chicks.

oh gosh I'm so sorry!! I can't imagine how horrible that must feel. That's one of the reasons I worry about getting started with chickens, it just seems so many things can go wrong. I have dogs, and there are predators around, but I've got a fenced off area for the chickens to be in during the daytime, and the enclosure that I am going to convert into a coop was designed to keep raccoons in, so I figure it will also keep them out, as well as opossums and skunks. We have coyotes, but they stay away due to my dogs. That leaves only one other animal that I see around a lot - bears. Does anyone have any experiences with bears getting into coops? I've never heard of it happening, and my neighbors down the street have chickens and haven't had any bear problems, but they don't see bears as often as I do. (which might just be because they are not looking)

Everyone that's going needs to check the weather report as there is astorm coming in and the higher elevations could get snow. Drive safe everyone. I can't go as I have two important meetings but hope it's a good one for the ones going.

Back
Top Bottom