coon attack ,badly hurt duck,need help

Weldingducks

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2017
Hi guys,
Soo coons (I think) got into my ducks last night 2 of them are gone (no trace) my drake is unharmed but my 4th one is in bad shape. Sorry this is detailed and sad.
One half of her head/skull is crushed in, her eye is destroyed and her face is mangled -on one side.
The other side is fine, she can see out of that eye.
She is walking, and her body is fine.I saw her drink water this morning.
I rinsed her face off , didn't really get too into it because the blood had already started drying (it happened last night ,found her around 10am) and I didn't want to re-open anything.
I rinsed it and then sprayed vetrycin all over the wound.*It's a spray that kills bacteria ect. From tramatic wounds, that's all I had ,we use it on cows,dogs,says you can use it on small animals.
I have her and my drake in the laundry room to keep flies off her and keep her clean.
What advice do you have?
Do you think she'll live through this?
What else should I do?
***also when I picked her up this morning she ran from me , soo I know her brain is functioning well still.
Thank you.

I would mostly just leave her be and see if she heals up. I have seen poultry heal up from some pretty horrific wounds. If they survive the first night and the shock they generally improve.

Since some ducks went missing I would suspect coyote or fox, as coin generally eat the crop and leave the chicken laying there.

I would mostly just leave her be and see if she heals up. I have seen poultry heal up from some pretty horrific wounds. If they survive the first night and the shock they generally improve.

Since some ducks went missing I would suspect coyote or fox, as coin generally eat the crop and leave the chicken laying there.

Thanks I have her in a clean dry place -laundry room for tonight with my other duck that survived soo hopefully she makes it. She is standing but looks like crap and all hunkered over.Just wait and see, only other thing that worries me is if flies got on her before I found her.

Have any suggestions on what to do if I see signs of that? Do you think iodine or scarlet oil spray would work better than that vetrycin I got?
As a kid we always had ducks and chickens and they'd come and go, but now all I really ever deal with is large animals soo I don't know much about ducks and poultry ,these guys have just been our little pets and we've grown soo attached to them :) soo sad to come home to today.

I have always just used bluekote, seems to deter flies from laying eggs, but it shouldn't be sprayed near the eyes.

I would be devastated too. Unfortunately once a predator comes calling they often return. You may need something more secure for them to live in.

This happened to a chicken of mine just last week. I took her to the vet and ultimately put her down.

He did say to be cautious of any eggs. Poultry is not affected by rabies but it is possible for them to pass it along.

Back
Top Bottom