HuskerHens18

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Chickenlandia
The father is either a Frizzle Cochin or a Danver x Cochin, which both are crestless. The mom is a White Crested Blue Polish.
The chick has regular Polish chick colors, but NO crest at all. I don't mind this, but could that mean it still has a thin/hole in skull where the crest SHOULD be? Or is it just a normal chick skull? I just want to make sure this new little chick is taken care of correctly. I have no pictures sorry.

You mean a vaulted skull? Because even if it hatches without it can still develop a crest.
Okay. Usually the crested birds I hatch have that bump on their head where the crest feathers grow, but I've read it's a hole in the skull or a really thin skull and it's dangerous if they're pecked on the head. So I was concerned even since this chick had NO bump it may have still inherited the "Polish skull" from its mom.

I'm so sorry if I'm explaining this wrong :(

Okay. Usually the crested birds I hatch have that bump on their head where the crest feathers grow, but I've read it's a hole in the skull or a really thin skull and it's dangerous if they're pecked on the head. So I was concerned even since this chick had NO bump it may have still inherited the "Polish skull" from its mom.

I'm so sorry if I'm explaining this wrong :(
yep, the bump is a vaulted skull. Possibly a small one.

My black crested white hatched like that. No noticable bump. He had a crew cut for awhile, now a small crest, but this is due to breeding for the color. This is what he turned out looking like at 8 weeks. Except despite my hopes, he is a she.
DSC_0068.JPG
DSC_0069.JPG

My black crested white hatched like that. No noticable bump. He had a crew cut for awhile, now a small crest, but this is due to breeding for the color. This is what he turned out looking like at 8 weeks. Except despite my hopes, he is a she.View attachment 1536402 View attachment 1536403
He is adorable! I love him :D Thanks for sharing.
20180909_133557.jpg
Here is one of them, another one identical hatched and one more polish egg tried hatching last night, but the mom got off the nest and let the egg get cold. Got a broody back on it, not holding out much hope for the poor thing, it was barely moving last I checked.

Back
Top Bottom