I will tell you my duck did similar things as yours when she wasn’t eating enough oyster shell. It’s kinda like she didn’t remember where it was and wasn’t eating it regularly. I locked her in her pen for a few days with it. Then she got used to eating it. I’m not saying yours is doing the same thing, I’m just telling you my experience. :p She hasn’t had a problem like that since.

I will tell you my duck did similar things as yours when she wasn’t eating enough oyster shell. It’s kinda like she didn’t remember where it was and wasn’t eating it regularly. I locked her in her pen for a few days with it. Then she got used to eating it. I’m not saying yours is doing the same thing, I’m just telling you my experience. :p She hasn’t had a problem like that since.
Okay, yeah they always have plenty of it but I will start making sure she gets more and maybe locking her in with it for awhile. I guess I’ll give her a TINY bit of the calcium gluconate with some snacks but she is eating lots of the oyster shells I gave her and I’m making her drink lots of vitamin water

Ok so I should just give her a tiny bit of it over her treats? And I can store it in the fridge?
If you think she needs calcium I suggest giving it orally or by injection, not on food. Yes, store in fridge. If you don't store it in the fridge mold will grow in it. I know this because I had one that I kept outside of the fridge and it grew mold. :oops:

She’s having oystershells and vitamins now and she’s really eating lots of the shells so maybe the calcium gluconate won’t be necessary this time?
I would give it to her exactly as casportpony suggested. ;)The calcium you bought is the most readily absorbed calcium out of all that she has available to her. Meaning she will absorb more from it than eating oyster shells. After she’s back on track, then the oyster shells can be adequate.

I have heard of some ducks having problems unless they eat layer feed all the time (has calcium supplement added) but haven’t experienced that myself.

I would give it to her exactly as casportpony suggested. ;)The calcium you bought is the most readily absorbed calcium out of all that she has available to her. Meaning she will absorb more from it than eating oyster shells. After she’s back on track, then the oyster shells can be adequate.

I have heard of some ducks having problems unless they eat layer feed all the time (has calcium supplement added) but haven’t experienced that myself.
Okay. How should I give it to her orally since I have no way of injecting it? And yeah I was considering feeding them layer feed but I was worried it may hurt my drake but maybe I’ll pick some up once their food runs out and feed it to her once a day or something like that.

Okay. How should I give it to her orally since I have no way of injecting it? And yeah I was considering feeding them layer feed but I was worried it may hurt my drake but maybe I’ll pick some up once their food runs out and feed it to her once a day or something like that.
Do you live in a state that doesn't sell needles?

Back
Top Bottom