Mugs from the Rascals

20220808_125855.jpg
20220808_125833.jpg
20220808_092955.jpg
20220808_125908.jpg

I am absolutely certain she (Minnie) is in mourning, especially given that you said she wouldn't roost and settle a few nights ago until Dotty was in the coop. I do so hope that that is all it is! Maybe a little extra time/attention from you will help her? While you may be the servant, you are a comforting one.:hugs:hugs

I will probably sound mean in this, but good for Lulu. You, the servant, will have to teach her some boundaries, but I like that she is a feisty, social, eccentric gal. Each flock really needs one of those! (plus, you could use a distraction with a 'character' chicken after all you've been through)

@RoyalChick I thought we had established that 'ruffled combs' was the new fashion trend? Just like Ruffles and lace were high fashion in Victorian times, now ruffles and spikes are in in the chicken world!! :love
Yes - I managed to fend off Lulu and Maggie to give Minnie her own raisins and her own Rice Krispies. I was gratified that she wolfed those down. She just looks so depressed.
Lulu is fascinating and I think a big force in the integration of the Hooligans. She is a social butterfly. Sometimes she forgoes treats for herself because she is so busy telling everyone there are treats. She literally runs around to every individual chicken and shouts until they move towards the treats.
She is physically unlike any of the others - I don't just mean just her color. She is not very fluffy (though she has a good enough fluffy butt) and she is very muscular. Forget all that about holding their wings so they don't flap when you carry them - she can flap her way out of anything. So can Maggie - but Maggie is huge. Lulu is really tiny but really strong.
Strange little alien lady!

Last edited:
It's Piou-piou (name on hold to see if she/he survives and what gender it choses!). From the beginning it has been late in growth and development and it's now about one month behind, half the size of Lea I would say. Other than that, it's active, doing well, eating and growing.
I was very pessimistic as all the threads on BYC about slow growing chicks ended with the chick dying between 6 and 10 weeks or staying very backward, but this one hasn't been showing signs of weakness up to now. It is much more shy with us than the other three however. You can sort of see the size difference next to Gaston and then next to Léa.
View attachment 3215531
View attachment 3215532

Beautiful! But the hair....I'm straight back in my teenage punk goth days.
View attachment 3215545
Wow 👌

Chiquita finally decided to bring the chicks out for a bit yesterday afternoon. She is still not ready to have them out all day, after a hour she was done and headed back into the coop. They are a week and a half old and still tiny. Right now they are the size of my pure Marans at hatch. I also got a shock when they came out into the light. Hoppy the silkie, is not going to be a black silkie. I will just say it, silkie's and their quirks and colors throw me. I assumed since it hatched out black, and has a solid black daddy it would be black. I'll let the pictures and video's show you just how wrong I am.
View attachment 3215566View attachment 3215567

Overlook my yard. I know the grass desperately needs mowing, but first I need it to dry up a bit. Since the flooding started I have had 1 full day without some rain so I'm still walking around in a mud pit. I do believe the weather, and muddy state of my yard may be why Chiquita has felt more comfortable keeping confined to the coop.
Yards and lawns and chickens: why mow? Is there a good reason other than people-oriented and social pressure? The Buckeyes love eating seed heads as each species matures. I love watching them pick and sort what they choose to eat. They don't generally eat long pieces of grass, they nip off the ends if they do take grass, and discard long pieces. They really want the grass seeds instead. I'm amazed they really love to eat dock leaves right now (the seed stalks are still green). They have demolished the dandelion leaves for the most part. So I asked DH not to mow their yard area yet, not until the late Fall when they move to their Winter quarters.

I now have to question after reading about @RoyalChick and @BY Bob experiences so far with feisty legbars is that just a trait of theirs? If so it actually sounds quite enduring, even if painful.
Some of it I think comes from their ability to fly. When you can outfly everyone else it gives you a certain something!
Dotty and now Lulu would definitely be in the feisty class. Minnie is a gentler soul - she was always a bit in Dotty’s shadow when they got up to no good.

Back
Top Bottom