It is a very nice quilt. It has to be nice if it took 10+ years 😂 . I was convinced that it is all chickens on the quilt until you said monkeys. Haha.

There are many incompetent people at universities...
Much red tape, too:th
Tax:
Angry Chicken GIF by happydog

Observations and a Question:

My 13 babies are 18 days old and today one of them decided that flying up on top of the water jar was a fine way to see past the cardboard blocking the view.

I see where this is going and I have noted the speed at which new discoveries travel through the group.

A top has been added to the pack n play and they are all glaring at me. They don't seem at all pleased that I have foiled their plan to explore the living room and practice flying.

Wow they learn to fly fast!

I have a question for you all. With no mama raising the babies do you take them out for a short period of time to explore so long as its warm enough of course or do you wait to do that until they are more feathered?
I take them out on warm days! I have a moveable pen with roosts and feeder& waterer, so they get to eat grass, chase bugs, scratch and peck, etc. The sooner they get to 'explore' the natural environment, the better, imo. As long as it isn't too cold.

Edit: @RoyalChick has a good point, be sure to give them chick grit if they are going to be eating anything other than starter feed. You don't want their system to get backed up!

(I would sometimes put a cardboard box, on it's side, with a hot water bottle inside so they had a place to 'warm up' in case they were cold. If I saw a couple huddle up to it, I would bring them in. Usually, no one paid attention to it - but it was my way of being sure they were okay. Note for you: if they get cold, there WILL be lots of loud PEEPS)

Last edited:
Lulu gifted me another egg today. A whopping 47.7 grams. I think that is roughly what a grocery store ‘standard’ egg is in the US (even though all the eggs they sell seem to be large or extra large).
Again she spent a fair bit of time deciding on which box to select for this gift. And it appeared that she was being advised by Maggie who showed them all to her just like a rooster would. Very odd.
Then when she emerged all four of them sang. It is odd (and possibly a tad creepy) that they all seem to share ownership in Lulu’s egg laying.
Here is Lulu’s egg from today compare to the one on day one. She has laid four eggs over five days. I hope she slows down. She is a Roadrunner by breed so I was expecting 2-3 a week.
View attachment 3227208
This behavior is not surprising to me at. Your tribe has suffered a lot of loss. An egg is new life. It represents an opportunity for the tribe to survive and continue. Maggie is one of your oldest hens, the matriarch of your tribe even. They are driven to continue the survival of your group. A new young laying hen is the best way for that to happen. Hence they are all celebrating her.

It is much like everyone acceptance of Phyllis hatching. Aurora physically destroyed Phyllis' nest the first time she sat. Earlier this year when Phyllis sat, Aurora literally gave Phyllis her eggs by laying them in the box with her. Phyllis is no longer abused but rather exalted by the tribe and supported. It is no accident that this change in behavior has happened since all of the death in my tribe as well.

I take them out on warm days! I have a moveable pen with roosts and feeder& waterer, so they get to eat grass, chase bugs, scratch and peck, etc. The sooner they get to 'explore' the natural environment, the better, imo. As long as it isn't too cold.

Edit: @RoyalChick has a good point, be sure to give them chick grit if they are going to be eating anything other than starter feed. You don't want their system to get backed up!

(I would sometimes put a cardboard box, on it's side, with a hot water bottle inside so they had a place to 'warm up' in case they were cold. If I saw a couple huddle up to it, I would bring them in. Usually, no one paid attention to it - but it was my way of being sure they were okay. Note for you: if they get cold, there WILL be lots of loud PEEPS)

No other chickens on our property this is my first venture into tending chickens. Chick grit has been obtained.

My husband is repairing the coop and closing in the covered run but .. it isnt done yet. Ill have to figure out a temporary pen.

13 sets of cute but glaring eyes are certainly motivating me to find a way to let them stretch their wings a bit.

Thank you all for the advice and I will certainly take pictures!

I have to go to the church and help them with the food drive soon today. I need to get away anyways, the chooks are driving me crazy!
Food drive was successful. I even have some food for myself. Plus 2 big bags of pistachios :drool Plenty of people showed up to help us also.

Yes! They will have loads of fun.
Just a few things to think about:
- Make sure you have thought through how to round them up again when you want to bring them in.
- If you are quarantining from other chickens then make sure they are far enough away.
- Provide some chick grit because they will taste all sorts of yummy things outside!
Oh, and take pictures to share with us so we can all enjoy the cuteness!!
We decided to use the trampoline until I can make pen for outside. Here are a few pics of my two bravest chicks. 3851F238-56D5-49E2-B99C-7C8474D8B1D2.jpeg 62B24091-03F4-43E1-A815-5D05F535A8DD.jpeg 0D4CEFA4-5F30-41EE-B356-83E51284274B.jpeg 1719D190-3B23-4D47-9A30-B36FA07F8991.jpeg FC9A0E14-BA2E-480D-8DFE-EE2F20469BA5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom