Observations and a Question:

My 13 babies are 18 days old and today one of them decided that flying up on top of the water jar was a fine way to see past the cardboard blocking the view.

I see where this is going and I have noted the speed at which new discoveries travel through the group.

A top has been added to the pack n play and they are all glaring at me. They don't seem at all pleased that I have foiled their plan to explore the living room and practice flying.

Wow they learn to fly fast!

I have a question for you all. With no mama raising the babies do you take them out for a short period of time to explore so long as its warm enough of course or do you wait to do that until they are more feathered?
I had my 7 hatchlings last summer, out and about in the barn in an empty stall at a few days old and at a couple weeks running around the whole barn with the others (3 silkies at that time), and also outside in a little run. By the time they were a month old they were going everywhere 😳😳😳😳 and wow could they fly! My silkies were never like that!!

Observations and a Question:

My 13 babies are 18 days old and today one of them decided that flying up on top of the water jar was a fine way to see past the cardboard blocking the view.

I see where this is going and I have noted the speed at which new discoveries travel through the group.

A top has been added to the pack n play and they are all glaring at me. They don't seem at all pleased that I have foiled their plan to explore the living room and practice flying.

Wow they learn to fly fast!

I have a question for you all. With no mama raising the babies do you take them out for a short period of time to explore so long as its warm enough of course or do you wait to do that until they are more feathered?
I started taking mine outside for short bits of time around 3 weeks, if course it was march, so too cold gor very long

Lulu gifted me another egg today. A whopping 47.7 grams. I think that is roughly what a grocery store ‘standard’ egg is in the US (even though all the eggs they sell seem to be large or extra large).
Again she spent a fair bit of time deciding on which box to select for this gift. And it appeared that she was being advised by Maggie who showed them all to her just like a rooster would. Very odd.
Then when she emerged all four of them sang. It is odd (and possibly a tad creepy) that they all seem to share ownership in Lulu’s egg laying.
Here is Lulu’s egg from today compare to the one on day one. She has laid four eggs over five days. I hope she slows down. She is a Roadrunner by breed so I was expecting 2-3 a week.
View attachment 3227208
Lulu must be doing some alien mind control on the others. You better keep a sharp eye on that one.

Last edited:
"Shes taking pictures again"
20220818_103400~2.jpg

"What? Ugh can't we bathe in peace for once?"
20220818_103355~2.jpg

Lulu gifted me another egg today. A whopping 47.7 grams. I think that is roughly what a grocery store ‘standard’ egg is in the US (even though all the eggs they sell seem to be large or extra large).
Again she spent a fair bit of time deciding on which box to select for this gift. And it appeared that she was being advised by Maggie who showed them all to her just like a rooster would. Very odd.
Then when she emerged all four of them sang. It is odd (and possibly a tad creepy) that they all seem to share ownership in Lulu’s egg laying.
Here is Lulu’s egg from today compare to the one on day one. She has laid four eggs over five days. I hope she slows down. She is a Roadrunner by breed so I was expecting 2-3 a week.
View attachment 3227208
Lovely egg! Hopefully she is a bit unstable on ovulation since she just started.

Smoke being a bit heavier than air has come down off the mountain, and is hovering over the lower foothills. (And all around here) “ cough cough “ . Jaffar started crowing at 03:30 this morning. I went out to check on all of them. Held Jaffar a few minutes before going back into the house. ( Eye drops time! ) the neighbors roosters (6) were crowing loudly, early too. :old 🤧
Wow! 6!

No sleeping in for you!

View attachment 3227208
Love those egg stands ❤️

Back
Top Bottom