In Remembrance

Normally I post my sunsets on @Ribh thread. I feel like this one belongs here. Today is Memorial Day here in the states. I very briefly served in the US Navy. Nothing of note on my part. I only say that so you understand from where I approach this day. The flag in the photo previously flew over the USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor.

View attachment 2159936
Thank you for your service, Bob!

Update. I searched high and low and found the loaf pans! Yay! I should be able to ice down their water no problem tomorrow. It also looks like it *might* be a little cooler up here on the hill than in town. What does everyone else do for their flock(s) when they are suffering in the heat?

Ice in the water, frozen fruit, damp down the dirt in the shade. But then I’m wondering if that causes coccidiosis, or is that to do with humidity?

I am facing industrial action
The Princesses called a strike today. No, they are still laying, but instead of heading down to the garden (where their digging services are in high demand) they ignored my enticement to follow and turned sharply around half way, in order to frolic on the lawn.
I can see why it is tempting, but seriously, ladies there is work to be done!
Of course I couldn't leave them out on the lawn because of predators, so I was forced to follow them around while they took their sweet time enjoying the newly sprouted grass. Not much gardening happened today.
Now at least I know what all those discussions were about when they were sitting up on the big branch and chattering.. .. .. . it wasn't just gossip, it was an organizing meeting.
My Princesses are unionized!
They have those meetings here. It's always worrying.

Update. I searched high and low and found the loaf pans! Yay! I should be able to ice down their water no problem tomorrow. It also looks like it *might* be a little cooler up here on the hill than in town. What does everyone else do for their flock(s) when they are suffering in the heat?
How hot is hot there?
The science. A chickens core body temperature is around 41C, roughly 106F.
Once the ambient temperature goes above this a chicken cannot lose heat to it's environment and they die pretty quickly.
It gets close to this late summer quite often here. I don't provide any ice, misters, etc. The chickens here know all the best shade spots and that's where they go during the high heat of the day. Bushes below trees make excellent shade because air circulates through the branches and only the very top branches receive direct sunlight.
The Moroccans, those that are chicken enthusiasts anyway, build clay domes with thick walls and four entrances; ninety degrees from each other. Above the domes they suspend a rush mat. Air travels below the bottom of the mat and above the clay dome. This keeps the interior of the dome cool.
Good shade isn't so much about cover, it's about airflow between whatever receives direct sunlight and the surfaces below.

I am facing industrial action
The Princesses called a strike today. No, they are still laying, but instead of heading down to the garden (where their digging services are in high demand) they ignored my enticement to follow and turned sharply around half way, in order to frolic on the lawn.
I can see why it is tempting, but seriously, ladies there is work to be done!
Of course I couldn't leave them out on the lawn because of predators, so I was forced to follow them around while they took their sweet time enjoying the newly sprouted grass. Not much gardening happened today.
Now at least I know what all those discussions were about when they were sitting up on the big branch and chattering.. .. .. . it wasn't just gossip, it was an organizing meeting.
My Princesses are unionized!
Sounds like you are experiencing rooster problems like Shad's roosters do with those unruly hens! :lol:

Provided we don't have water restrictions I will put the sprinkler over part of the run. I also give them a 1 litre block of ice with fruit in it in a tray to peck at.

How hot is hot there?
The science. A chickens core body temperature is around 41C, roughly 106F.
Once the ambient temperature goes above this a chicken cannot lose heat to it's environment and they die pretty quickly.
It gets close to this late summer quite often here. I don't provide any ice, misters, etc. The chickens here know all the best shade spots and that's where they go during the high heat of the day. Bushes below trees make excellent shade because air circulates through the branches and only the very top branches receive direct sunlight.
The Moroccans, those that are chicken enthusiasts anyway, build clay domes with thick walls and four entrances; ninety degrees from each other. Above the domes they suspend a rush mat. Air travels below the bottom of the mat and above the clay dome. This keeps the interior of the dome cool.
Good shade isn't so much about cover, it's about airflow between whatever receives direct sunlight and the surfaces below.
This is very interesting. Now I want to build a Hobbit hole for my girls.

How do you find your house for temperature regulation Shad?

Back
Top Bottom