I am facing industrial action
The Princesses called a strike today. No, they are still laying, but instead of heading down to the garden (where their digging services are in high demand) they ignored my enticement to follow and turned sharply around half way, in order to frolic on the lawn.
I can see why it is tempting, but seriously, ladies there is work to be done!
Of course I couldn't leave them out on the lawn because of predators, so I was forced to follow them around while they took their sweet time enjoying the newly sprouted grass. Not much gardening happened today.
Now at least I know what all those discussions were about when they were sitting up on the big branch and chattering.. .. .. . it wasn't just gossip, it was an organizing meeting.
My Princesses are unionized!

The Princesses called a strike today. No, they are still laying, but instead of heading down to the garden (where their digging services are in high demand) they ignored my enticement to follow and turned sharply around half way, in order to frolic on the lawn.
Of course I couldn't leave them out on the lawn because of predators, so I was forced to follow them around while they took their sweet time enjoying the newly sprouted grass. Not much gardening happened today.
Now at least I know what all those discussions were about when they were sitting up on the big branch and chattering.. .. .. . it wasn't just gossip, it was an organizing meeting.
I wondered how long this would take. :gig
There is more to life than just work you know. One needs to take time to stop and smell, or eat, the flowers.

I mean seriously, you expected them to work on a holiday?!

Whenever my Charlie goes broody, she is picked on even more than usual by the others. When we released her from her three night stint in Broody Jail recently, she got hammered by the other three, even Echo who was always very accepting of her. Delta stood on her for a few seconds to keep her down at one point, which I haven't seen before in my flock.

I'd be interested to hear others' experiences of how a hen is treated during/after broodiness. My observations correlate with @Shadrach 's in that Charlie being the bottom of the pecking order means she has no 'right' to be broody.
Hi yall!
Whenever I remove a broody from her nest for a break (twice a day)... everybody better watch out!! Those ladies are mean and grumpy! And I still have two broodies!

I wondered how long this would take. :gig
There is more to life than just work you know. One needs to take time to stop and smell, or eat, the flowers.

I mean seriously, you expected them to work on a holiday?!
Clearly there will need to be some serious discussions about working hours and conditions! Soon it will be too hot for garden digging and then they will be demanding iced-watermelon. Not a treat that I introduced them to - but the kid who caused me to end up with these chickens told me sweetly that I should give it to them whenever it is hot. They had him well trained too!

In Remembrance

Normally I post my sunsets on @Ribh thread. I feel like this one belongs here. Today is Memorial Day here in the states. I very briefly served in the US Navy. Nothing of note on my part. I only say that so you understand from where I approach this day. The flag in the photo previously flew over the USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor.

20200525_201652.jpg

Last edited:
In Remembrance

Normally I post my sunsets on @Ribh thread. I feel like this one belongs here. Today is Memorial Day here in the states. I very briefly served in the US Navy. Nothing of note on my part. I only say that so you understand from where I approach this day. The flag in the photo previously flew over the USS Arizona memorial in Pearl Harbor.

View attachment 2159936
Love this Bob! Thank you :hugs

Whenever my Charlie goes broody, she is picked on even more than usual by the others. When we released her from her three night stint in Broody Jail recently, she got hammered by the other three, even Echo who was always very accepting of her. Delta stood on her for a few seconds to keep her down at one point, which I haven't seen before in my flock.

I'd be interested to hear others' experiences of how a hen is treated during/after broodiness. My observations correlate with @Shadrach 's in that Charlie being the bottom of the pecking order means she has no 'right' to be broody.
I’ve only had three broodies. For one, Cashew, I got day-old chicks (well, just her first yesr of broodiness). One, Bagheera, stopped being broody on her own with a little encouragement and she was high in the pecking order, so nobody touched her. I did broody jail for the last, Millie. Come to think of it, everyone steered clear of all of them, except Ruby, who wanted to hammer on Millie a bit.
I will say this. Cashew had gotten pretty weak from sitting, so I kept her and the chicks in a cage for a few days. I thought there was no way she could defend her chicks against the flock in that state. I would move the cage in and out if the coop which was really causing lot of stress for all. I decided to open the cage inside the coop and let Cashew decide if she’d keep them in or out. She brought them out! One of the top hens, Bagheera again, seemed like she wanted to be an Auntie. She’d hover nearby, but not engage. Cashew did not seem bothered by Bagheera near the chicks, like she understood there was no threat.
Buttercup was another story. She pecked at a chick! Buttercup is a Brahma and my largest hen by far. Cashew went crazy on her! I WAY underestimated Cashew’s ability to defend her chicks. She and Buttercup were jumping up chest pumping. I guess Cashew won, because Buttercup wanted NO part of that afterward. If she went anywhere nesrbthe chicks, Cashew told her off. I was so proud of her!

This makes me giggle and warms my heart. I can totally imagine you following them around as the (cluelessly) enjoyed the grass. Too cute!

Back
Top Bottom