Not as funny as drunken parrots but you just triggered a memory. We had a tree in the house where I grew up that made the bees drunk. They would lie on their backs in the grass kicking their legs and buzzing feebly. If you gently moved them out from under the tree they would slowly come to and stagger about and eventually fly off just fine. I remember it being a lime tree but that can't be right because I don't remember any limes!
That is awesome. Now I want to see drunk bees as well as drunk parrots! 😆

I use cat litter tubs and they do just fine. I had large bowls before, but they preferred the boxes. I like how easy it is for me to pull them out and hose them down.

I was out of the area this weekend and didn't collect eggs for a few days. Well Livi, my 3 y/o RIR, decided she wanted to try and sit. Of course she picked the favorite nest box and the others piled in on top of her. They eggs broke all over her and the box. It was easier to clean the boxes out then it was to clean the chicken!
What a mess that must have been! Where are the photos of that!

That is exactly why I went with the dish bowls (though I haven't had a broken egg in there yet). I will stop worrying as they seem fine with it - I was just struck by @BY Bob's picture where the hens have so much space around them while they are on the nest.
Frankly my nest box size was set by the prefab cop I bought. I just duplicated the dimensions since everyone seemed to like them. I can remove the floor in my nest box with 2 screws and drop any mess to the ground below and quickly scrub the floor if I need to. Simple.

Last edited:
Special Thanks are in Order

I have acquired 3 fertile eggs from one of our own. @CrazyChookChookLady has agreed to provide me with the eggs following through on her offer from when Maleficent was broody. She has even generously offered to come to my house tonight and help me move Sydney onto the new eggs in the old coop tonight. I am so grateful.

I am so grateful for the help. More pictures to come tonight.

I am currently constructing the coop in the run. That is turning into a story all its own. 😃

What a mess that must have been! Where are the photos of that!

Much to stinky!! I was just hosing her off with the garden hose, no pampering here!! :lau Rex smelled the egg and wanted to lick her clean so I was dealing with that too.

If I had a little more trust in Rex, I would have let him lick her off, but I'm not quite there yet. He's come leaps and bounds, but not that much.

I have acquired 3 fertile eggs from one of our own. @CrazyChookChookLady has agreed to provide me with the eggs following through on her offer from when Maleficent was broody. She has even generously offered to come to my house tonight and help me move Sydney onto the new eggs in the old coop tonight. I am so grateful.

I am currently constructing the coop in the run. That is turning into a story all its own. 😃

I'm so glad to help!! It will be good to see you guys again.

Looks like 3 will be the Right Number

I have begun trying to source fertile eggs for Sydney and I have requested three. It just so happens to match what she is sitting on right now. So I got that correct.

How do I go about moving her when the time comes? Do I pick her off of the nest and put her on the different eggs, do I move the current eggs as well? Does anyone have any advice?

What type of eggs are you getting?

So excited for you! Another learning curve & more to love about chickens! 😍

Back
Top Bottom