That is excellent news. Is she still trying to hatch or did she give it up?
She can't hatch. The entire tribe would make her life a misery and I have doubts she could defend her chicks. The probable result would be she would get predated defending her chicks.
She's still in the house because I want to be entirely sure that the vent problem is cleared up.
It's a lot easier to keep her clean and in theory at least, not laying eggs.

Due Date

@Ali James asked a good question this morning.

I have actually not calculated it out before now, can you believe it?!

Today is 10 days to hatch so that would make hatch day......June 17. That's just 2 days before I head to my see my daughter in Detroit to celebrate Father's Day!

Yikes!

That is cutting it close. Does anyone know how accurate 21 days is?

Preparing

Also, while I am thinking about it, what do I need to have on hand for Sydney and the chicks? I'm assuming I need special feed, lower watering dishes.

Please advise all you experienced hatchers.

My personal preference is medicated chick crumbles and plain water. I like the small quart feeders you get at TSC. I have spares if you need them.

For the first day or 3 the babies aren't going to eat or drink a whole lot. They still have yoke reserves. You can add some rocks or marbles to the water base just to be sure no one does a nose dive into the water.

She can't hatch. The entire tribe would make her life a misery and I have doubts she could defend her chicks. The probable result would be she would get predated defending her chicks.
She's still in the house because I want to be entirely sure that the vent problem is cleared up.
It's a lot easier to keep her clean and in theory at least, not laying eggs.
I understand. At least you can better get her well this way.

Sounds like Treacle held his own though!
He did and today you wouldn't know it had happened unless you looked at Cillin.
P6073817.JPG

My personal preference is medicated chick crumbles and plain water. I like the small quart feeders you get at TSC. I have spares if you need them.

For the first day or 3 the babies aren't going to eat or drink a whole lot. They still have yoke reserves. You can add some rocks or marbles to the water base just to be sure no one does a nose dive into the water.
Should I put the water and feed into the big coop where the nest is?

Thanks for offering supplies but I still have them from Maleficent and Aurora.

Should I put the water and feed into the big coop where the nest is?

Thanks for offering supplies but I still have them from Maleficent and Aurora.

I do once they hatch. Mainly so mom stays on the nest and hatches the rest. Once they are mobile and Sydney takes them outside, then no more food or water in the coop.

Due Date

@Ali James asked a good question this morning.

I have actually not calculated it out before now, can you believe it?!

Today is 10 days to hatch so that would make hatch day......June 17. That's just 2 days before I head to my see my daughter in Detroit to celebrate Father's Day!

Yikes!

That is cutting it close. Does anyone know how accurate 21 days is?

Preparing

Also, while I am thinking about it, what do I need to have on hand for Sydney and the chicks? I'm assuming I need special feed, lower watering dishes.

Please advise all you experienced hatchers.
21 days is fairly reliable but that's hatch start. You could add another 48 hours to that no problem. You're cutting it too fine if you're considering going away. You really need to be there for the first couple of days after hatch to check for pasty butt and sick or weak chicks.
I would get medicated feed for the chicks. A low water and feed bowl is also required.

I don't go anywhere on hatch days, or the first couple of days after. I also like to be there the first time mum ventures out with the chicks and when the rest of the tribe turn up to inspect.
I may be a bit over cautious but I've had chicks die from pasty butt and others left at the nest when mum heads out with the others. No heat from mum and they don't last long if it gets chilly.
I also like to be there in case mum leaves a partially hatched chick behind. I don't like them to suffer and kill them as quickly as mum will let me.

Back
Top Bottom