Those are darling! What a sweet present.

Speaking of presents, I went through 1/2 a bag of straw yesterday trying to deepen the bedding in the Main Coop. Thankfully i have a second bag. You are my chickens hero!
Given how cold it is, I am glad I could help give them some deep bedding! :hugs It really shouldn't be so hard to get!!!

Coop is Warm

The coop is 24+ degrees and the air is 17 so I will move Betty out sooner than I thought I would. She can at least be in the coop with everyone.

20230204_105102.jpg

@ChicoryBlue , how did your chooks do overnight? @BY Bob how did Glynda's comb do? I was a bit concerned with her given the comb had been 'touched' with a bit of frost previously - I've heard it makes people more susceptible to frostbite again...not sure if it is also true for chickens or not??? I am also wondering how Betty does today by herself.
Combs look good so far, Hazel and Popcorn both had a bit of snow/frost/ice on the side feathers on one side of their head and some on their backs, and are now hanging out next to the panel heaters. Peanut and Butters are ice-free, Peanut came out to see what was up and then went back in the nestbox laying. I put some pellets in a bowl in the panel area.
Update - got Peanut’s egg, all their feathers are ice-free & the bowl of pellets is nearly all eaten. -11F, sunny with a bit of breeze now.

Are caged hen eggs legal in Canada? They are not in California. Great job California! :clap:clap:clap

It is one of the reasons egg prices are spiking in CA. They believe in treating chickens at least slightly better. Because they can't import caged eggs from other places their available supply is limited and prices spike. If I were an egg farm in a neighboring state I would be free ranging so I could sell my eggs in CA at a higher price than in my own state. That is the economics of it.

I say a couple of bucks a dozen is a small price to pay. Egg prices are kept artificially low by keeping laying hens in God awful conditions. Once caged hens are outlawed everywhere the market will stabilize to just a dollar or 2 more a dozen. A small price to pay.
My chooks got it too good 👍!

You have radiant floor heating it looks like? Or is it so snuggly warm everyone is passed out?
I have radiant in the kitchen with a stone floor. So they are maximizing body contact with the floor. It is actually very cute. They walk in an just sort of collapse and are clearly having the time of their lives in a cat sort of way!

Back
Top Bottom