7 Hens 1 Coop
Betty has been paroled. Everyone is in the coop together. Check out where Hattie has chosen to rest.

Betty was ready for her parole hearing.

20230204_105851.jpg

Released!
20230204_113731.jpg

Are caged hen eggs legal in Canada? They are not in California. Great job California! :clap:clap:clap

It is one of the reasons egg prices are spiking in CA. They believe in treating chickens at least slightly better. Because they can't import caged eggs from other places their available supply is limited and prices spike. If I were an egg farm in a neighboring state I would be free ranging so I could sell my eggs in CA at a higher price than in my own state. That is the economics of it.

I say a couple of bucks a dozen is a small price to pay. Egg prices are kept artificially low by keeping laying hens in God awful conditions. Once caged hens are outlawed everywhere the market will stabilize to just a dollar or 2 more a dozen. A small price to pay.
Yes caged hens are allowed. But I think it's 3 to a cage and has to be so big.... and so forth.

Many places are going to an 'open housing' type free-range. Indoors, but free ranging.

Not sure about summertime here... I would think there are farms that free range outside in the summer.

Elevation can also play a large part in this as well. The 90 miles separating me from where I grew up has a huge effect on our weather. I am in what is called the coastal plain while my parents are on top of a mountain. Winter lasts almost 3 weeks longer there on average and snow is common in late October. Our first snow don't come until December usually. I believe that @ChicoryBlue has elevation on me on top of being further north.
Yes DH says we’re at 20,050 ft (6111 meters). We can see the “frost line” in Fall and Spring, when temps are just cold enough up here versus just down the hill.

Sounds like an amazing experience.
Now-a-days my night time excursions in the winter are running to the barn, topping up water for the horses, and checking chickies to make sure everyone is cozy hahaha.

Then I run back to the house - though most nights I do stop to look up to see if there are any northern lights :) But I don't linger - I am a wimp now in the cold!

Back
Top Bottom