Well, my chooks survived the night - we got below -6 F and with the wind chill was -35 F. I do think there are a few that have some frosted tips of combs, but won't know for sure for a day....amazingly, given my set up and no heat/electricity out there, I am pretty happy with this.

( and, no @RoyalChick , we couldn't run an extension cord through the conduit...the plug part kept getting stuck at the bend to come up out of the ground :( )

On a brighter note, my neighbor gave me a belated B-day present:
View attachment 3395223View attachment 3395224View attachment 3395225

They are pot holders - to pick up hot pots! SO cute - and she made them in my favorite color (Blue):love:love
really cute pot holders. Lovely neighbor (and lucky neighbor to have you)!

Digging makes one thirsty. They have learned though that it is not proper etiquette to drink out of a water bowl until one has filled it full of dirt or sawdust. Fresh clean water and a dish could be poison, dirt neutralizes any potential toxins. The same rule can apply to their feeder. When in doubt, scoop it onto the ground and throw a little dirt into the holes.
There are many lessons to learn in life about being a chicken in general. Momma Chiquita is covering all her bases.

Back
Top Bottom