I could do with some reassurance (or not).

Babs went into the nest boxes today. First time just for a few minutes and came back out. But just now she was in there for over 20 minutes.
Of course I rushed out thinking she laid an egg. She had definitely been arranging the bedding into a nest, but no egg.
She is out now and behaving normally.
Is she just scoping things out? Or could she be having trouble laying her first egg?
I am a bit of a nervous wreck because I still couldn't catch her to examine her.
One interesting thing, both times while she was in there, Eli stood outside looking in and 'growling'.
Am I being overly anxious? Do hens do practice runs before their first egg?

Babs went into the nest boxes today. First time just for a few minutes and came back out. But just now she was in there for over 20 minutes.
Of course I rushed out thinking she laid an egg. She had definitely been arranging the bedding into a nest, but no egg.
Is she just scoping things out? Or could she be having trouble laying her first egg?
I am a bit of a nervous wreck because I still couldn't catch her to examine her.
One interesting thing, both times while she was in there, Eli stood outside looking in and 'growling'.
Yes. They will have practice runs leaving up to the big event. She is going to lay soon. Congratulations! She is growing up.

The chickens too are alive although I think Babs felt the cold. When she came down this morning she huddled up to the flat panel and was all puffed up and not moving
I've been thinking about this, and felt I needed to respond...while I'm in for 'lunch'.....

1) Babs has 'hard feathering' like her mom (DC), the feathers are a bit stiffer and less poofy/fluffy, so she isn't able to trap as much air for added warmth:hugs as Eli nor Bernadette (small comb and a suggestion of wattles is really good in her case). That is also why Eli looks almost as big as Babs, but when picking them up, there is a clear difference in weight.

2) Clearly they know where the heat source is, and will use it if needed. Who knows, maybe this fridgid cold will convince Babs to roost near Bernie tonight? (i.e. near the heat source?):idunno :fl:idunno

On a side note, no one roosted in the pine tree last night, and only 2 chickens roosted outside the coop - but in a protected roosting spot in the run. Was so nice to not have to put a dozen+ chickens away in the bitter cold (when I let everyone free range, it can be up to 3 dozen I have to 'relocate'. Some just on a roost in the run trying to stay away from the boys, the rest either in the run's pine treešŸŒ², my (forever more called) Chicken Christmas Tree'šŸŽ„, nor the top of the Route 66 Chicken Coop (Yes, I'm looking at you three!!šŸ‘€ Making mommy climb on an upturned bucket šŸŖ£and stretching to just be able to reach you!:barnie)

Last edited:

She might be going broody and getting ready to lay an egg.

Mine certainly did, they checked out and tried the 9 different possible nests in the coop. And they ended up laying outside in a hole in the wood stack.

As @BY Bob said, the answer is yes! I love that Eli is acting as look-out for her :)

So, soon there will be no need for store-bought eggs, you will be back to having a handy, super-local :gigsupply!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom