Mine certainly did, they checked out and tried the 9 different possible nests in the coop. And they ended up laying outside in a hole in the wood stack.
But really not just checking them out by having a look - really going in and building a nest and sitting in there for 20 mins?
First thing this morning was definitely 'checking it out' - she popped in, looked around, went to the one next door and looked around - but that took less than 5 minutes.

No cats were harmed in the creation of these photos.
Everyone enjoying the heating being turned up.
Happy Caturday everyone!

View attachment 3395294View attachment 3395296View attachment 3395297
They look like they need the chalk outline around them before moving the bodies! :gig
Crime Scene Chalk Mark Stock Vector Image by ©BigAlBaloo #44553709

Last edited:
But really not just checking them out by having a look - really going in and building a nest and sitting in there for 20 mins?
First thing this morning was definitely 'checking it out' - she popped in, looked around, went to the one next door and looked around - but that took less than 5 minutes.
Mine did the same thing they would sit in there then leave without laying an egg. They are just getting used to the area and checking it out to lay their first egg. Mine laid the following day.

My three pullets really tried out places. Piou-piou and Merle stayed much longer than 20 minutes. And yes they built nests, when there wasn't already one. And they stared at laying ladies throughout the whole operation, which yours won't be able to. And you don't have a rooster but if you did the rooster would be trying out places with them like he was going to lay himself.
I think there was about ten days when they had this behaviour before they actually laid.

But, also Merle took a very long time to lay when she began, I was worried as she was staying at least an hour and a half in the nest. Or she may have had broody tendencies from her very first egg.

My three pullets really tried out places. Piou-piou and Merle stayed much longer than 20 minutes. And yes they built nests, when there wasn't already one. And they stared at laying ladies throughout the whole operation, which yours won't be able to. And you don't have a rooster but if you did the rooster would be trying out places with them like he was going to lay himself.
I think there was about ten days when they had this behaviour before they actually laid.

But, also Merle took a very long time to lay when she began, I was worried as she was staying at least an hour and a half in the nest. Or she may have had broody tendencies from her very first egg.
Thank you for explaining that. I am calming down because she is flying around outside and pigging out at the feeder like she never saw food before.

Digging makes one thirsty. They have learned though that it is not proper etiquette to drink out of a water bowl until one has filled it full of dirt or sawdust. Fresh clean water and a dish could be poison, dirt neutralizes any potential toxins. The same rule can apply to their feeder. When in doubt, scoop it onto the ground and throw a little dirt into the holes.
There are many lessons to learn in life about being a chicken in general. Momma Chiquita is covering all her bases.
Yes! You did forget to mention that rule about it being best to stand in or on you water/food dish if at all possible! Prevents intruders from claiming your rightful water/food!

I could do with some reassurance (or not).

Babs went into the nest boxes today. First time just for a few minutes and came back out. But just now she was in there for over 20 minutes.
Of course I rushed out thinking she laid an egg. She had definitely been arranging the bedding into a nest, but no egg.
She is out now and behaving normally.
Is she just scoping things out? Or could she be having trouble laying her first egg?
I am a bit of a nervous wreck because I still couldn't catch her to examine her.
One interesting thing, both times while she was in there, Eli stood outside looking in and 'growling'.
Am I being overly anxious? Do hens do practice runs before their first egg?
She’s figuring it out. The Buckeyes did a lot of exploring and arranging the nestbox litter before anyone laid. Even going into their third laying season, Peanut signaled that she was gearing up to lay again. They call, a squawky moan, with a “needy” sound to it, and wander towards the coop while calling. I think it overlapped with actually laying eggs that broke, so she also came into the coop while I was scooping and made softer plucky peeps and knocks which to me sounded a lot like the broody hen sounds in videos posted here. She was proudly announcing an egg I think.

Back
Top Bottom