But really not just checking them out by having a look - really going in and building a nest and sitting in there for 20 mins?
First thing this morning was definitely 'checking it out' - she popped in, looked around, went to the one next door and looked around - but that took less than 5 minutes.
The Buckeyes go in and out. Sit for awhile, then get something to eat or drink, then go back in. They might stay longer and sit tighter when somebody else wants to lay too though.

But really not just checking them out by having a look - really going in and building a nest and sitting in there for 20 mins?
First thing this morning was definitely 'checking it out' - she popped in, looked around, went to the one next door and looked around - but that took less than 5 minutes.
Trying that nest on for size: Did I build the nest right? Can I really sit like this for an hour? Are my legs ready for this crouching to lay? Is this nest safe enough/sheltered enough, but yet good vantage point so can make sure not predators are coming? Gosh, lots to think about and be sure I'm ready for it!

Thank you for explaining that. I am calming down because she is flying around outside and pigging out at the feeder like she never saw food before.
It is all perfectly normal. It's OK to be nervous. I certainly understand why you are. I bet this is all a funny story very soon. :hugs

Yes! You did forget to mention that rule about it being best to stand in or on you water/food dish if at all possible! Prevents intruders from claiming your rightful water/food!
I forgot that rule but Chiquita has taught them well.
DSCN0026.JPG
DSCN0028.JPG

So this notice came up this morning
View attachment 3395191

It usually shows a previous picture before refreshing and becoming current. But now I've got that and the notice about the cold
View attachment 3395190

The base unit this morning is flashing orange. It was blue last night. I rebooted it now but it's orange still, probably meaning the cold notice. It is -22.5F now.
I don’t know how I would deal with that sort of cold. It’s actually almost scary to me.

I still can't get over how Betty kicks her legs back - that is just awesome! I have expected the straw to go flying every which way!
I have a chicken that does that and kicked shavings in my face. Oh flashbacks. Got some shavings to put in the coop and nesting boxes , it'll be all over the place soon as I put it down

Back
Top Bottom